We’re heading into the Northern Lights season (November-February) and my friends are already posting incredible photos from Alaska and Canada. I was told recently by a tourism official that if I’m interested in seeing the Northern Lights, I should download the free My Aurora Forecast app. It’s supposedly the best app for finding and tracking the Northern Lights (as written in Ian Livingston’s “Poutine and Stargazing at the Jasper Dark Sky Festival“).
The app (currently only available for iOS) is designed for both tourists and serious aurora watchers. It tells you what you want to know: “whether that is exactly how likely you are to see the aurora borealis or details about the solar winds and high-resolution sun imagery.” My Aurora Forecast lets you, as written in the App Store:
- Find the current KP index and how likely you are to see the Northern Lights in the United States or the rest of the world.
- View a list of the best locations to view from right now.
- Map showing how strong the aurora is around the world, based on the SWPC ovation auroral forecast.
- Free push notifications when auroral activity is expected to be high.
- Forecasts for the next hour, several hours and several weeks so you can plan your Northern Lights viewing long in advance (subject to weather conditions).
- Solar wind statistics and sun imagery.
- Tour information so if you’re considering to go to locations such as Iceland, Sweden, Finland or even Alaska or Canada, you’ll be able to find tours that we can recommend to you.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.