If you read my recent post on how I keep my home safe while I’m away, you’ve read about the gadget I use to open and close my garage door when I’m out of town (or when I forget my clicker). I’m featuring it again here since it was tucked away at the bottom of that post, and I think it’s worth highlighting. The 828LM LiftMaster Internet Gateway ($55), if you ask me, is a game-changer.
There are three main reasons I love this thing. First: When my family travels, we often leave before the garbage man (sanitation worker) has come. I don’t like leaving garbage for a week (or six!) in the garage because it will end up smelling up the whole house. Using the 828LM LiftMaster Internet Gateway, I can leave the garbage out, ask one of my neighbors to text me when they’re available to put the bins back in the garage, and with a few taps open and close the garage door once the neighbor’s finished. Second, I use it to have neighbor or delivery man place newly arrived packages in the garage (I can see immediately using our Ring Doorbell).
The third reason to love it? If you’re home and you forget to close your garage door, you can program the device up to send you alerts via text and email after a designated amount of time. It’s really handy. When I leave the garage door open, I don’t have to go all the way downstairs to close it. On the safety side of things, the LiftMaster beeps like a truck backing up for several seconds before it closes, just in case someone is in the garage and needs to get out of the way.
The gateway easily connects to your home router and takes about four minutes to set up. It’s super easy. But note it doesn’t work with every garage door. It only works with LiftMaster MyQ-enabled garage door openers (with MyQ logo and yellow learn button) and gate operators and MyQ accessories: LiftMaster 8500, 8550, 8557, 8587, 8355, 8360 Garage Door Opener; LiftMaster CSW24V, CSL24V, LA500 Gate Operators; and LiftMaster 888LM MyQ Control Panel LiftMaster 823LM Remote Light Switch LiftMaster 825LM Remote Light. I imagine that competing garage door openers have similar systems, so double-check before buying.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.