My wife, Natalie, and I met our friend Pamela (PJ) for lunch one afternoon in Saint Germain (Sixth Arrondissement) at Paris’ best affordable restaurant, Le Comptoir du Relais (9, carrefour de l’Odéon, Paris; 011-33-8-2610-1087.). PJ had rented an apartment in Paris for the month of April and since it was her last few days there, she took us to her favorite restaurant.
Le Comptoir, The Counter in English, is in the Hôtel Relais Saint-Germain. It’s a popular place with both locals and tourists since every celebrity chef from Anthony Bourdain to Thomas Keller has raved about it. They don’t take reservations, except for their prix fixe dinner on weekdays (so I hear) and breakfast is reserved for hotel guests. So if you want to avoid a long line, try going at off-peak times.
We were having a late lunch and there was still a 20-minute wait. I’m not sure if it was because PJ was friends with the manager or not but they kept our place in line for a table while we waited next door at L’ Avant Comptoir. It’s a tiny, standing room only bar that serves delicious wine and French hors d’oeuvres. And just like Le Comptoir, the menu is only in French.
After a few bites, sips, and stories, we were sitting at our outdoor table. Seating is ridiculously tight but the food is amazing, the prices are reasonable and the service is … French. I had the Croque Poulet (pictured above), while Natalie had a charcuterie platter and escargot. PJ had lobster bisque and a lamb entrée, which she said was amazing. For dessert we shared a vanilla and chocolate pot de crème. Magnifique!
In the photo gallery below, I’ve posted both receipts so you can see what we ordered and see why this is Paris’ best affordable restaurant.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.