I wrote a tip a few weeks ago titled, “How To Save Tons of Money, Hassles and Headaches When Traveling During Omicron.” The Cliff Notes version is to take a Covid test before leaving home and have a back-up plan, whether that’s travel insurance or help from friends and family, in case you test positive while you’re away.
I wish Marisa Fotieo, a schoolteacher from Michigan, had read that post and I bet she wishes she had, too. That’s because Marisa flew from Chicago to Reykjavík on IcelandAir on December 20 and not long after takeoff, she began to feel sick with a severe sore throat. She had a COVID-19 rapid test in her carry-on bag and took the test it in the plane’s lavatory. She told NBC News in an interview that it felt like it took only two seconds for the test to show positive.
Marisa is obviously a kind woman because instead of going back to her seat and exposing her fellow passengers, she isolated herself in the plane’s lavatory for four hours because her greatest fear was giving the other 150 passengers COVID-19. Not many people would do that. I know more than a few people who have COVID and have flown or gone out without wearing a mask because they just don’t care about their responsibility to protect others.
Marisa told NBC News “she was able to make it through being cooped up in the bathroom thanks to the care of flight attendant Ragnhildur “Rocky” Eiríksdóttir. “She made sure I had everything I needed for the next five hours from food to drinks and constantly checked on me assuring me I would be all right.”
As if Rocky wasn’t sweet enough during the flight, while Fotieo quarantined at a Red Cross hotel in Reykjavik, she brought her flowers and a little Christmas tree with lights. Foteio said, “It was so heartfelt, and she’s just an angel.”
So let this be a lesson for everyone to test before getting on a plane and to do everything you can to keep your fellow passengers COVID-19 free.
@marisaefotieoShout out to @Icelandair for my VIP quarantine quarters.. #luxuryliving #imsolucky #covid #vaccinated #fyp #viralvideotiktok #quarantine♬ I’m So Lucky Lucky – Grandzz
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.