When my wife, son and I traveled to Seattle last month we were impressed by the airport’s organization for ride-sharing cars (drivers pull into a vacant labeled stall and then tell their passengers the row and number). One thing I noticed is that the airport had a sign for Uber, Lyft and Wingz. My wife and I both looked at each other and asked, “Have you heard of Wingz?” Neither of us had. It turns out the peer-to-peer transportation company has been around since 2015.
What makes them different is that they provide private, scheduled and fixed-price rides to and from a number of US airports. What’s great about them is that if you like a particular driver you can request them each time and the price doesn’t change, unlike with Uber or Lyft. They also supposedly require each driver to submit to DMV, criminal, and fingerprinted background checks before joining the Wingz team. It’s a bit more expensive but having a safe, reliable driver is worth the cost.
I just scheduled a ride to go from Manhattan Beach to LAX and the fee is $25 for three passengers and two bags. The price went up $3 for each extra bag and $9 for each extra passenger. UberX on the other hand was $17.23 (though prices weren’t surging). I would still choose Uber (good to know: 10 Uber Tips That Will Totally Improve Your Next Experience) but it’s a good option to know about and try.
Currently, they pick up in 14 cities and 23 airports (listed below).
- Austin-Bergstrom Int’l Airport (AUS)
- Dallas Love Field (DAL)
- Dallas/Fort Worth Int’l Airport (DFW)
- George Bush Intercon. Airport (IAH)
- William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
- Burbank Bob Hope Airport (BUR)
- John Wayne Airport (SNA)
- LA/Ontario Int’l Airport (ONT)
- Long Beach Airport (LGB)
- Los Angeles Int’l Airport (LAX – drop off only)
- Miami Int’l Airport (MIA)
- Orlando Int’l Airport (MCO)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor Int’l Airport (PHX)
- Portland Int’l Airport (PDX)
- Sacramento Int’l Airport (SMF)
- San Antonio Int’l Airport (SAT)
- San Diego Int’l Airport (SAN)
- Seattle-Tacoma Int’l Airport (SEA)
SF Bay Area
- Mineta San Jose Int’l Airport (SJC)
- Oakland Int’l Airport (OAK)
- San Francisco Int’l Airport (SFO)
- Tampa Int’l Airport (TPA)
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.