Great news for aviation fans and plane spotters! The legendary 50-year-old, LAX-adjacent Proud Bird restaurant has reopened after closing for more than a year (they came close to closing for good). The new Proud Bird looks nothing like the old except for the sign, vintage plane replicas in the parking lot and back yard.
It’s no longer a dark steakhouse. Instead, the mini aviation museum with amazing views of LAX’s approach runway is now bright, with high ceilings and a food bazaar. The unique food hall has six culinary kitchens that are open for lunch, dinner, and brunch.
When it first opened, customers on arrival would check in with a docent to get a “boarding pass” but I went back today (September 18, 2017) and I’m happy to report they nixed that entry process. Now customers just go to any of the culinary kitchens and pay at each station.
Their menu is inspired by the melting pot of Los Angeles and features Asian, Italian, BBQ, burgers, and American cuisines. The most popular is Compton’s own Bludso’s famous, mouth-watering BBQ ribs, brisket, and pulled pork. Prices range from $4 to $12 for entrees and $2 to $5 for sides.
On my first visit, I went with my wife, son, and dad and we all enjoyed it although service was slow (they were so new everyone was trying to get familiar with the computer system and ingredients). I had the ¼ chicken and waffle ($10), which was okay. The waffle was good but chicken wasn’t like Roscoe’s. Natalie liked her pulled pork sandwich and my dad liked his salmon teriyaki.
When I went back today with my dad and buddy David I noticed it was a much smoother operation and that the food was way better than the first time. My dad had the medium size ($10) pulled pork and he loved it though he said he should’ve had the small portion (1/4 lb and $6). I had the beef brisket sandwich and a side of baked beans and it was delicious.
I will definitely be back for the food and of course the plane spotting. My photos are below including screenshots from the ProudBird website of their menus.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.