UPDATE (March 26, 2020): Citing the seriousness of the COVID-19 pandemic, President Trump said on Monday that “the federal government will delay requirements for Americans to obtain a Real ID to travel.” A “12-month delay” makes the new deadline October 1, 2021, though that could still be amended.
In a press release last week, DHS Acting Secretary Chad Wolf shared that “approximately two-thirds of all licenses are presently not compliant with REAL ID.” In case you’d forgotten, a standard-issue driver’s license will not be accepted as ID at U.S. airports starting on October 1 of this year. To be able to board a domestic flight, as we’ve written before, you’ll need to show a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or another form of ID from the list at the bottom of this page.
If you have this star icon in the upper-right corner, you have a REAL ID driver’s license. If you don’t, you’re going to need to apply for one at a DMV or other approved location—and you should really get started now. Appointments are booking out months in advance. I just booked my dad an appointment in Florida, and the first available appointment was in the middle of May!
Each state has its own process, so the best way to begin is by going to your state DMV website. A great CNN article updated over the weekend goes into things in more detail, including the fact that two states—Oklahoma and Oregon—haven’t begun issuing REAL ID-compliant licenses yet. Oregon will begin issuing them on July 6, while “it is estimated that the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety will begin issuing REAL ID documents April 30.”
For even more info, you can head right to the Department of Homeland Security website.
What forms of ID are acceptable for domestic flyers?
Until October 1, a standard-issue driver’s license is an acceptable form of ID for domestic flyers at U.S. airports. From October 1 forward, you must show one (1) item from this list:
- REAL ID-compliant state driver’s licenses or other state photo identity cards
- US passport
- US passport card
- DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
- US Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
- Permanent resident card
- Border crossing card
- State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
- Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
- HSPD-12 PIV card
- Foreign government-issued passport
- Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
- Transportation worker identification credential
- US Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
- US Merchant Mariner Credential
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.