Reader’s Digest recently published a story titled “42 Everyday Fixes to Survive Basically Anything.” It’s full of practical information and worth reading, but one fix stood out as particularly relevant for travelers: “How to survive clogged ears on a flight.” I’ve had experiences on flights myself in which my ears felt like they were going to explode, usually when I’ve had a cold. I would have loved to have had the info below descending on those flights:
“There are actually three ways to correct the problem, each named after the doctor who developed it:
- The Valsalva maneuver: Take a deep breath, pinch both nostrils shut with your fingers, close your mouth, and attempt to exhale through your closed nose. Don’t be overzealous with this maneuver, as there is an off chance you could rupture an eardrum.
- The Toynbee maneuver: Pinch your nostrils shut and close your mouth while swallowing. (This might take a try or two.)
- The Frenzel maneuver: Pinch your nostrils shut and make a k sound.”
Have your own, safe way to relieve ear pressure? Share in the comments below!
- A Great Product for Skiers That Get Altitude Sickness
- This New Wristband Provides Relief From Motion Sickness
- What to Tell Your Doctor If You Feel Sick After Traveling
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,477!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.