Of the questions we receive at JohnnyJet.com, none comes up more often than those related to connectivity abroad. Will Wi-Fi be available? Will it be fast? Should you get a local SIM card, or an international package with your cellular provider—or something else?
These are reasonable questions. In the age of Wi-Fi, it can be jarring to drop off the map, especially in a new place (either without recourse or to avoid absurd roaming charges). You lose access to Google Maps/tools of direction and to the abilities to coordinate/link up with others on the go, pull up hotel confirmation numbers and addresses, assure friends and family back home that you are still alive, and so much more.
RoamingMan Wi-Fi Hotspot can give you those things back. It’s a rentable, pocket-sized device capable of international Wi-Fi delivery in 68 countries for a flat fee. For $9.99 per day, each RoamingMan provides overage-fee-free access to high-speed Wi-Fi tethered from the strongest local carrier signals. It’s WPA2-protected (you’ll have a password) on up to five separate devices at one time. And there’s no setup; RoamingMan, on all devices and without any further parts or process, just works.
- On the RoamingMan Portable Wi-Fi Rental website, you select the number of days you’ll be traveling (and confirm that your destination is included among the 68)
- You pay a guaranteed $9.99 per day (there’s a sliding tool that calculates total cost on the homepage)
- Your RoamingMan arrives at your door one or two days before you leave
- Throughout your trip, you connect to 4G (3G when 4G isn’t available) as you like on up to five devices at once without regard for cost (there is a 500MB cap on high-speed Wi-Fi, after which the price does not change but your connection may slow)
- Upon your return, you ship it back using the pre-paid UPS shipping label
The sell is in the ease of use, but the RoamingMan is an electronic device. It is battery-powered, which invites the possibility that a drained battery might kill all the cheap, high-speed fun. Well, worry not: With each charge, a RoamingMan stores some 15 hours of battery life. And, if that’s not enough, the device can be repurposed as a charging station with which to store your other, power-hungry devices.
I haven’t tried the product myself. In my experience, detaching yourself from the internet’s web can be invigorating in the right context—but not all trips offer the right context. More than once, I have scoured the foreign streets of a transient home in search of Wi-Fi. I have battled language barriers, SIM cards locks and dense jungles for access to work emails and hotel booking sites, and I have lost often. As long as there has been Wi-Fi, that battle has been a part of travel. But that appears to be changing. For the next time I need Wi-Fi far from home, RoamingMan appears to be an able ally.
“I let one of my friends borrow the device since they were driving from Los Angeles to San Francisco and needed Wi-Fi to do work. This was her review: ‘This device is great! I can take it anywhere and always have internet.’ I give it two big thumbs up.”
This is a sponsored post.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.