I’ve been a big fan of TripIt for a while (I even made this video for them). TripIt’s free tool and app make it easy to keep track of your travel plans by storing and organizing them. Any time you book a flight, hotel, rental car, etc. (even tickets to an event), you just forward the confirmation email to email@example.com. TripIt will organize everything, plus details like departure terminals and reservations numbers, so you have it in one place. TripIt Pro, which I use, has even more features.
Well, both TripIt versions just got better. Thanks to a partnership with GeoSure, you can use TripIt to see how safe a destination is at night and during the day. GeoSure, which editor Ian Livingston wrote about in this defense of travel to Africa, allows TripIt to show “safety scores from 1 to 100 for neighborhoods around the world, representing low to high risk.” And with the new AM and PM settings, you can see how a destination’s safety risks change when day turns to night. The following, writes TripIt, are considered in scoring how safe a destination is at either time:
- Physical harm: including muggings, drug activity, gang prevalence, and police presence
- Women’s safety: including verbal harassment, physical assault, violence directed against women, and adequacy of women’s support facilities
- Health and medical: including environmental pollution and contamination, illnesses, regulation of sanitary conditions, and access to medical care
- Political freedoms: including political unrest, limited political rights, and incidences of riots and protests
- Theft: including petty theft, pickpocketing, burglaries, auto theft, and grand theft
- LGBTQ safety: including likelihood of harm or discrimination against LGBTQ persons or groups and level of caution required at location
Of course, it’s impossible to know for sure what awaits you in a destination, and you should travel smart no matter where you’re going (especially at night). But this is a great tool, and I’m happy to see TripIt improving it.
Have you used TripIt to see how safe a destination is?
Have you tried TripIt’s safety tool? Or GeoSure? What do you think? Let us know in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,569!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.