As the government shutdown rolls on, anyone with a Global Entry interview appointment coming up may be out of luck. As written on View from the Wing, “several readers have gotten emails and even personal phone calls letting them know their appointment cannot be honored.” The same experience was shared in a tweet by Tiffany Dowd:
My Global Entry Renewal interview for tomorrow has been suddenly cancelled due to the Federal Government shutdown. I had to reschedule and my original appointment was still available for so I scheduled it again. Anybody else experiencing issues? #travel
— Tiffany Dowd (@LuxeTiffany) January 6, 2019
These appointments often must be made months in advance due to demand, so a cancellation would be very frustrating. (Also of note in the VFTW story is the screenshot of one of those reader’s emails, which shows the cancellation notice being sent out to a whole slew of people with all of their emails visible in the “To” field.)
Anecdotally, not every appointment scheduled for the shutdown period has been cancelled, so if you have a Global Entry appointment coming up, the best move is probably to call your interview location and find out for sure. New applications, however, must wait until the government is open again, as noted by the TSA here.
- How to Get TSA PreCheck & Global Entry Access for Free
- What to Do If You Lose Your Global Entry Privileges Unfairly
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,357!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.