Each Friday, we feature a reader-submitted tip as our Travel Tip of the Day. This week’s tip comes from reader Rob W., who says:
“Last week I had some stuff stolen out of my hotel room. Luckily, it wasn’t valuable and all was eventually returned. What happened?
On check-in I was given two key cards by the hotel (I prefer not to name the hotel). As usual, when I am traveling alone, I always take one with me and I leave the other keycard in its packet in the room or in the entry slot. Apparently, a disenchanted employee in housekeeping decided to lift the keycard from my room, who in turn gave it to a bad friend. That bad friend then came back later, entered my room without issue and pilfered my stuff. Luckily all my valuables were in the safe. So the bad employee could not be tracked entering the room at the time of the robbery because it was my key card that was used.
So my tip is: If you are given two cards, never leave the spare laying around in your room or in the power slot at the front door. Lock it in the safe, or better still, only get one keycard if you are traveling alone.”
A good one. Thanks, Rob!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.