When my usual taxi driver didn’t answer his phone, I called Kenny the Cab Driver at my cousin Joey’s recommendation. He’s a local legend in the South Bay because he’s so friendly, decorates the interior and exterior of his cab during the holidays and plays rock ‘n’ roll music. I’ve seen his taxi many times but had never taken a ride … and that was my loss.
Luckily, I didn’t go through my entire life without meeting Kenny. He’s truly a special man who loves people and his family. Kenny’s from Jordan and married a Mexican woman and has photos of his family in the car, along with free candy!
When I handed him the cash with a 30% tip, he said it was too much, then he carried my bags to the door and hugged me goodbye. I heard he does it for everyone. And he told my buddy Kevin from PubClub.com that he doesn’t look at himself as being a taxi driver. Instead he’s just a friend giving another friend a ride so they can get where they are going safely and have a good time.
I asked Kenny if any LAX cops have ever pulled him over since they seem to have a habit of doing it at LAX and he told me it had happened once, a few years ago. When I asked why, he said that the motorcycle cop had said he’d been waiting for him all morning and he just wanted to take a picture with him. I’m not surprised.
I only wish we had more Kennys in this world.
If you live in the South Bay of Los Angeles, Kenny’s number is 310-918-2354. Note: He can’t pick passengers up at LAX. He can only take you there, or anywhere else.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.