This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
The other day, I took my four-year-old to the park to throw around a balsam wood plane that I found while clearing out my desk. It was given to me at a trade show by the former PR person at GoGo (inflight Wi-Fi) shortly after Jack was born. I remember thinking at the time, I can’t wait until Jack’s old enough so we can assemble it and fly it together.
Well, that day finally arrived and it was so much fun to fly and I thought we were the kings of the park. That is, until one of our neighbors who saw us playing pulled out a foam plane about 10 times the size of ours and asked if we wanted to try it.
We tossed the plane around for a while and it was so much fun … and so much better than the dinky wooden plane I’d brought to the park. Jack was having such a ball with it that my wife asked where she’d gotten it and of course, she said Amazon. My wife must have ordered them on the spot because a couple days later, they arrived at our doorstep. Like the money-conscious husband that I am, I asked her how much they cost and when she told me, I couldn’t believe the price. It was only $22.99 for a pack of four! I would have paid that price for just one.
The package came with two packs of two and four colors total: red, blue, orange and yellow. It takes less than a minute to assemble; there are no instructions except for a silly little diagram with no words. I was able to figure out that you can switch the back tail (also known as the empennage) to one of two slots; one will make the plane do loop-de-loops and the other will make it go straight. FYI: In doing research for this story, I now see that there’s an instructional video on Amazon demonstrating how to assemble them and how to properly use it. For example, there’s a rubber band that comes with it and foolishly, I didn’t realize it’s to use to sling shot the plane.
What I love about these toy airplanes is that they can REALLY fly. It’s so much fun to watch them go! And also, I love that they’re made out of foam so there are no hard parts to hurt little kids and they’re pretty durable. Although, Jack and I were horsing around and he stepped on the tail and it snapped off. I thought it was toast but I put some gorilla glue on it and it flies like new again.
The planes really are awesome and the sales pitch on Amazon is spot on when they say it’s the best outdoor gift for [a] plane lover, perfect for aviation and airplane theme parties. The planes are recommended for kids aged 3-9.
On my second toss at the park, I was able to get the plane to do two loops and come right back to me so I was able to catch it. Jack looked up at me wide-eyed like I was the king of the park and this time, I really felt like I was.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.