I received the following message from a reader this week: “We have several trips outside the US planned for 2022. I’m nervous about carrying my original, laminated, Covid vaccination card. We do have the cards downloaded on our phones and I also have pictures of them on our phones. Do you suggest we still carry the originals? Thank you!” ~ G.S.
Here’s my quick reply:
“You definitely need to bring the originals. They treat it like your passport. But I would also keep a digital copy on your phone and in your email so you can retrieve it if needed. Also make a paper copy.”
G.S. wrote back “Thank you. I didn’t think about making a paper copy.”
So, I decided to make this a tip and expand on it.
If you remember, I wrote a tip back in April highlighting all the free stuff you could get for providing proof of vaccination, including getting a free Krispy Kreme donut every day for the rest of 2021. Another offer was free lamination of your CDC card to protect it from Staples, Office Depot and Office Max. I got some feedback from readers asking what happens if you need a booster shot and your card is laminated?
Good point! So, I wrote another tip about the way I was protecting my CDC card and what I think is the best way, especially while we were all waiting to travel.
Then, we ran another post yesterday with the brilliant way to protect your CDC card when you are traveling.
BTW: I had an another reader write to me on Monday, who said: “I got my third Moderna last week at CVS just because I am 65 and it was easy to do (and I wanted to see the process for my Mom). You know all the people who said it was crazy to laminate our cards? Well, both CVS and Walgreens have stacks of blank cards!! All they do is transfer the shot data to a new blank …. If the original is laminated…… NBD.”
There are also several convenient ways to keep a digital copy of your vaccination card on your smartphone, which my buddy Rich DeMuro elaborates on in this KTLA article.
In the piece, Rich recommends a service called VaxYes, which he says “will give you free digital vaccine passport for your phone. Just submit a snapshot of your vaccination card and the site uses artificial intelligence and state records to validate your information.
“The Clear App (commonly used for bypassing long security lines at the airport) has a feature that allows you to create a digital vaccine card complete with your photo. There’s no subscription necessary.”
Another information-packed post is this one from CNET, entitled: 7 Ways to Keep a Digital Copy on Your Phone
Here’s an excerpt:
Look for apps based on your location
“Some states — including New York, Colorado and California — offer some form of digital vaccination card. The myColorado app requires you to create an account, verify your identity and then add your digital driver’s license to your phone. After you’ve done that, you can then add your myVaccine record to the app. Louisiana’s LA Wallet app takes a similar approach to Colorado’s, allowing you to add your driver’s license and proof of vaccination to your phone.”
“California’s implementation requires you to fill out a form to verify your identity, after which you’ll receive a text message or email with a link to a QR code you can save to your phone. When scanned, the code will offer proof of vaccination. The link will also include a digital copy of your vaccination record.”
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.