Christmas is fast approaching, which means people are starting to travel in record (pandemic) numbers. According to AAA: “More than 109 million people — an almost 34% increase from 2020 — will travel 50 miles or more as they hit the road, board airplanes or take other transportation out of town between Dec. 23 and Jan. 2.” AAA also says “Airlines will see a 184% increase from last year.”
This a dramatic bounce-back from last year as 27.7 million more people will be traveling, bringing this year’s numbers to 92% of 2019 levels. The travel industry has to be pretty excited. The healthcare industry not so much, with Covid still running rampant.
No matter by what means you’re traveling, you need to leave extra early but especially if you’re flying. That’s because if you miss your flight, there’s nowhere for the airlines to put you as planes will be packed. And you never know what will delay you. Lately, we’ve been hearing about airport parking lots being full, TSA and CLEAR lines being long – like an hour in some airports and then there’s always the potential of an accident slowing down traffic.
The TSA says the busiest days at TSA security checkpoints for the Christmas/New Year holiday travel period are expected to be Thursday, Dec. 23 and Monday, Jan. 3. Their advice is: “Arrive early, wear a mask, expect airports to be busy, pack your patience.”
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.