1. Stylish, Hip, Gorgeous Decor
The Hotel Monaco has been recently renovated thanks to the inspiration of the Founder Bill Kimpton. This luxurious boutique hotel is one of my favorite places to stay. The four star hotel has a whimsical and bold design which is evident throughout the building straight to your bedroom. The rooms have character! All of the hotel’s 201 guest rooms and suites have been transformed to showcase an eclectic and sophisticated retreat with bold colors. Elaborate French Art Nouveau headboards, grand mirrors, playful colorful artwork, super soft sheets, and silk pillows set the stage for an experience to remember. The lobby offers frescoed ceilings, a curved marble staircase, The Tree of Life sculpture by Albert Guibara, and crackling fireplaces where you can drink some vino. An air of epic wonder is the feeling Mr. Kimpton hopes to get across to guests, and he does this splendidly.
2. Best Location
Only 2 blocks to Union Square, Hotel Monaco is located right in the center of the city next to the most upscale shopping and boutiques. Located at 501 Geary Street, I walked for 20 minutes and ended up in Cow Hollow and Pacific Heights where the Union Street shops are located. Another day, I walked for 15 – 20 minutes through Chinatown, on to the Grace Cathedral, the Coit Tower, and walked all along the waterfront from the Fisherman’s Wharf past the Embarcadero to end at the Ferry building with all its wonderful gourmet food shops and restaurants. I loved finding clam chowder and eating an incredible meal of seared tuna salad and deviled eggs with crab on top at the Marketbar Cafe. Walk a few blocks east to the Financial District or south to Yerba Buena Gardens, a vibrant area that includes the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) and Moscone Convention Center. I also enjoyed the Hotel Monaco’s location at night because right next door you can mix things up at the Clift, a hip hotel bar spot where the funky Surreal giant portraits move or their eyes do as you sip cocktails at the opulent Redwood Room Bar.
3. Pets are Allowed at No Extra Charge.
For no extra charge, your favorite furry friend can come with you, so you don’t have to worry about hiring a pet sitter or dog walker while you are away. I love how they have dog biscuits and water outside welcoming the dogs. I saw so many beautiful, happy creatures coming in and out of the hotel. They didn’t seem to bother any guests who did not have a pet. I heard a baby screaming in a room nearby, but never a dog barking. The hotel even provides a luxury dog bed in the size you need, designer water and food bowl set on a decorative mat, a few “clean-up” bags, a dog toy you can take home, a copy of The Dog Lover’s Companion to the Bay Area, and a Bone Appetit menu available for your dog or cat.
4. Jacuzzi-style Tub in the Bathroom
The bathroom is not only grand with CO Bigelow Apothecary products, but the large bathtub has jets which was perfect after my week-long adventure/exercise trip. The bathtub literally turned into a private Jacuzzi bath, perfect for soothing your worries away or a sore body from nonstop exercise.
5. Wine Hour
Wine is served each evening in the living room by the crackling fires. I enjoyed some nice vino with pretzel nuggets, which was such a nice rest from hours of walking all over the city.
6. Pillow Choices You Can Request
When you sign up to become a member of their Loyalty Program with Kimpton Hotels, you can tailor the specific type of pillows you like, and the system remembers your information when booking.
7. “Spa” Water in the Lobby
“Spa” water, as I like to call it, is always in the lobby. A perfect way to refresh yourself when you come and leave. The water is stacked with oranges, lemons, and mint or whatever is chosen that day.
8. Loyalty Program Gives Discounts and Perks
If you join the Kimptons Rewards Program, you get personalized room preferences, $10 off the mini bar, free WiFi, invitation to InTouch parties and dinners in select cities, and free nights earned by making reservations directly with Hotel Monaco. Check out all the benefits of becoming a Loyalty Program member HERE.
9. French Hotel Restaurant – The Grand Cafe Brasserie & Bar
The Grand Cafe is a gorgeous French venue with a classy zinc bar, wood burning oven, and raw bar. This place seems to me to be the ideal place to meet someone for a drink and appetizers before heading out. I enjoyed a lovely dinner with an old DC friend. The French onion soup, mussels, and asparagus with burrata were superb. My friend did not enjoy her steak since she felt it was too chewy. The mini crab cakes were OK. I have had tastier ones before. I liked the ambiance and appreciated Chef Alicia Jenish’s French cuisine menu items infused with a lighter, healthier San Franciscan approach. Some options you may want to try are lobster salad, duck confit, herbed gnocchi, sausage stuffed chicken breast, ceviche with local cod, and the grand platter from the fruits of the sea.
A steam room, sauna, and Jacuzzi make this is an easy getaway just downstairs. There is an independent company that gives massages, facials, and treatments at the spa. Next time I would stick with just a massage. I opted for an exfoliation massage and sunless tanning. I don’t think the older nice quirky lady had ever done this procedure before with all the random comments she kept making. The tanning lotion didn’t smell so great either, and didn’t really give me that much color, which is why you should only go to a professional place for sunless tanning. I think you won’t go wrong if you stick to a facial or massage.
Hotel Monaco – San Francisco
501 Geary Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
To Book online or over the phone, click HERE.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.