Last week while attending the TBEX conference in Stockholm, I met Kevin O’Donnell and Boyd Bruner, entrepreneurs from Chicago. These guys caught my attention (and everyone else’s) by cruising around on what they call “the world’s first motorized, rideable carry-on smart luggage.” The two tried to raise funds on Kickstarter last year but failed. Now, they’re back with an Indiegogo crowd-funding campaign. The Modobag campaign needs to raise $50,000 and is already up to $25,079 in the first day, with a full month left.
If you preorder one of their limited early bird specials for $995, you’ll save 30% off the retail price. In Stockholm, I took one of their Modobags for a test drive (see the video above) and I have to say it’s pretty fun to ride, and it maneuvers well. There’s a dual-wheel braking system, quick-release foot pedals, extendable towing handle, and high-performance CNC-machined, sealed-bearing steering column. It can reach speeds of 8 mph (3x faster than walking). It’s powered by UL lithium batteries that last for six miles or 10 full phone charges (based on a 180 lb commuter). The bag weights 19 lbs, over 80% of it can be used for storage, and it’s TSA-, FAA-, and IATA-compliant so it will fit in overhead bins.
The Modobag also has a touch-control dashboard with LED backlighting and dual-USB charging ports for cellphones and portable electronic devices to keep them charged—and you in control—while on the move.
I’m not sure if all or any airports will allow them, as most have banned hoverboards, but it sure is cool.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.