I first learned about the Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell from Leo Laporte, who hosts the weekly show called The Tech Guy, where I’m a weekly guest (12:30 pm PT on Saturdays). Before I went on recently, Leo recommended the Ring Doorbell, and that was all I needed. Ring was kind enough to send me one and I love it. The reason why? Best described in their tagline: “Never miss a visitor.”
Ring comes with an 180-degree, angled HD video camera that has smart-motion detection and cloud-recording. So when the doorbell rings or if someone comes within a certain number of feet of your door (you can set it to the distance you want), you’re alerted by a call or text to your phone.
That’s huge for travelers for a number of reasons:
- You can now see if something is going on outside your home as it has built-in motion sensors that detect any activity on your property and trigger instant mobile alerts
- Ring makes your home more secure by notifying you when someone is on your property and letting you see and speak with anyone at your front door
The Ring Doorbell costs $199, comes in a number of colors and is easy set up as it attaches to its mounting plate using a proprietary screw for security. I also love their guarantee that if someone steals your doorbell, they’ll replace it for free. The Ring app is also free and available on both Android and iOS.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.