Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Occupation: Actor/Travel Writer
Hometown: Westfield, NJ
Residence: New York
Short Bio: Andrew McCarthy is an editor-at-large at National Geographic Traveler. He’s written for The New York Times, The Atlantic, The Wall Street Journal, was named “Travel Journalist of the Year” by the Society of American Travel Writers in 2010, and won their “Grand Award” in 2011. As an actor he has appeared in dozens of films including The Spiderwick Chronicles, The Joy Luck Club, Mulholland Falls, and of course such iconic movies as Pretty in Pink, St. Elmo’s Fire, and Less Then Zero, as well as cult favorites Weekend At Bernie’s and Mannequin. His memoir, “THE LONGEST WAY HOME,” was published by Free Press in September 2012. He lives in New York.
His new novel—”Just Fly Away”—is available on Amazon for $12.04.
How often do you fly: Several times a month
How many countries have you been to: 50+
How many continents have you been to: 5
Favorite American city: New York and Lander, Wyoming
Favorite international city: Rome
Least favorite country: I like them all, although I don’t have great memories of Oslo (but it might have been the jet lag)
Favorite World Heritage Site: Parque Nacional Los Glaciares, Patagonia, Argentina
Favorite airline: The one that upgrades me
Favorite aircraft type: 747
Aisle or window: Aisle
Favorite U.S. airport: SF
Favorite international airport: Vamizi International Airport (see photo)
Favorite hotel: The Berkeley London
Favorite cruise line: Never been
Favorite island: Maui
Favorite fancy restaurant: The French Laundry
Favorite hole in the wall: Lexington Luncheonette NYC
Favorite fruit: Mango
Favorite food: Rib-eye steak
Least favorite food: Brussel sprouts
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Sparking water
Favorite travel movie(s): Weekend At Bernies
Favorite travel show(s): No Reservations
Favorite travel book(s): The Old Patagonian Express
Right now I am reading: Blue Latitudes
Five things you bring on a plane: A book, music, gum, water
What do you always seem to forget: My earphones for music
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Good sunglasses (I’m always loosing them)
What’s your dream destination: Atacama Desert. Patagonia again. Tibet. Bhutan. Seychelles. Burma. That’s a start…
Best travel tip: Carry on
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.