Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Charles Veley
Occupation: Software entrepreneur and traveler
Hometown: Brooklyn, NY
Residence: San Francisco, CA
College: Harvard College
College major: Computer Science
Facebook: Charles Veley
Short bio: Software guy who always loved maps and stamps, but never got to travel as a kid. Following a software IPO, was able to go everywhere. Youngest ever to complete the TCC list of countries and territories. Completed more of the Guinness list than anyone in history. Founded MTP, a community for like-minded travelers who aspire to go everywhere.
How often do you fly? On average twice a week.
How many countries have you been to? All of them.
How many continents have you been to? All of them.
Earliest travel memory: Woodstock at age four, just after my parents’ divorce. I have some very specific memories…
Favorite American city: San Francisco.
Favorite international city: So many…
Least favorite country: Guinea.
I have no desire to go to: The moon.
Friendliest people in the world: Fiji.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Saudi Arabia or Sudan.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch.
Favorite airline: SQ.
Favorite aircraft type: 787.
Aisle or window: Window!
Favorite airport lounge: LHR Virgin.
Favorite U.S. airport: SFO.
Favorite international airport: SIN.
Favorite hotel: Ozen Maldives.
Favorite cruise line: Crystal.
Favorite travel credit card: Chase Preferred.
Favorite island: Lord Howe Island.
Favorite beach: Anse Victorin, Fregate Island.
Favorite National Park: Yosemite.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Single Thread.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Ernesto’s Pizza, Boston.
Favorite bar: Ritz Hemmingway Bar, Paris.
Favorite fruit: Mangosteen.
Favorite food: Zachary’s Pizza, Berkeley.
Least favorite food: Icelandic gas station vacuum-sealed dried fish.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Vesper Martini.
Favorite travel movie(s): Up in the Air.
Favorite travel show(s): Three Sheets.
Favorite travel book(s): “Travels,” Michael Crichton.
Right now I am reading: “The Side Hustle.”
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: One Mile at a Time, No Mas Coach, TravelSkills.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Mosttraveledpeople.com.
5 things you bring on a plane: Chapstick, phone & laptop chargers, Ayr saline gel, politeness, and charm.
What do you always seem to forget? The departure time.
What do you like least about travel? Any inefficient cost.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Amarula.
Favorite travel app(s): MTP Zap.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Rain forest treefrog landing on my forehead, then pissing into my eyes.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Timbuktu.
Worst travel moment: Almost dying overnight on Peter I Island.
What’s your dream destination? Anywhere I haven’t been before.
Favorite travel charity: MTP.
Best travel tip: Plan the hell out of it, then be prepared to throw away the plan.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.