Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Tony Howell
Hometown: Margaret River
Facebook: Chef Tone—Tony Howell
Short bio: Tony Howell discovered his passion for cooking as a bright eyed 14-year-old when working to pay for surfboards in a Mexican restaurant in Perth. Fast-forward 30 years and in that time Chef Tone, as he is affectionately known, has garnered a reputation as one of Australia’s best chefs. He has worked in the finest restaurants in Western Australia, helping them win a multitude of awards with his culinary creations. He’s been invited to cook in Bali at private functions and hotel openings, in California for a Porsche Club and special television events, and alongside the industry’s best. As a Margaret River Gourmet Escape ambassadorial chef for the visiting chefs from around the world, Tony has cooked for and alongside Heston Blumenthal, Alex Atala, Rene Redzepi, and Sat Bains.
How often do you fly? Four to six times a year.
How many countries have you been to? Luckily lots.
How many continents have you been to? Five.
Earliest travel memory: Boat cruise through Asia with my family…aged five.
Favorite American city: New York.
Favorite international city: New York.
Least favorite country: Haven’t found one yet!
I have no desire to go to: Middle East.
Friendliest people in the world: Hawaiians, Filipinos.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Toughest…Australia, we really do try and protect what comes into our clean environment.
Favorite airline: Qantas, Singapore.
Favorite aircraft type: BIG!
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: Qantas.
Favorite U.S. airport: Jackson Hole…so small and days of old!
Favorite international airport: Singapore.
Favorite hotel: Apart from Cape Lodge, Alila Hotel.
Favorite island: Rottnest, Western Australia.
Favorite beach: All the beaches in Margaret River region…but best for surfing/diving is Gracetown, Western Australia.
Favorite National Park: Yellowstone National Park.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Gwen, Los Angeles!
Favorite fruit: Cherries.
Favorite food: Street food.
Least favorite food: Fried fast food.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): White wine in the air/ and water.
Favorite travel movie(s): Any comedy.
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain.
5 things you bring on a plane: Phone, computer, thongs (footwear), toothbrush and paste, charger (when I remember).
What do you always seem to forget? Phone/computer charger.
What do you like least about travel? Waiting for your flight.
Favorite travel app(s): Uber for cabs.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Mixing up AM with PM on a plane ticket….missed the flight!
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Spain.
Favorite travel charity: Make-A-Wish, Qantas.
Best travel tip: Don’t plan to much, wing it and go with it…be spontaneous.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.