Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Ethan Russell
Occupation: Photographer, author, speaker
Hometown: San Anselmo, California
College: University of California at Davis
College major: English/art
Facebook: Ethan Russell Photographs
Short bio: Multi-Grammy-nominated photographer and director. The only photographer to shoot albums covers for the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, & the Who. Current live performance: Ethan Russell: the Best Seat in the House chronicling his years at the heart of music. (Luckman Arts. Cal State LA April 28th)
How often do you fly? Varies a lot.
How many countries have you been to? 15
How many continents have you been to? 3
Earliest travel memory: Bahamas.
Favorite American city: San Francisco.
Favorite international city: London.
I have no desire to go to: Places I’m not wanted.
Friendliest people in the world: Canadians are nice. So are Italians.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Yosemite (is a “world heritage center”).
Favorite aircraft type: 747s.
Aisle or window: Aisle, always.
Favorite international airport: N/a. Not Heathrow.
Favorite hotel: Ritz, London. Ahwahnee, Yosemite.
Favorite travel credit card: Starwood American Express.
Favorite island: Harbor Island, Bahamas.
Favorite beach: Big Sur, California.
Favorite National Park: Yosemite.
Favorite fruit: Banana.
Favorite food: Ice cream.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Pelligrino.
Favorite travel movie(s): Lawrence of Arabia.
Right now i am reading: “The Woman Who Smashed Codes,” Jason Fagone. “Kissinger: 1923-1969,” Niall Ferguson.
“Lafayette in the Somewhat United States,” Sarah Vowell.
5 things you bring on a plane: Laptop, cell, iPad, medicines I need if baggage lost.
What do you always seem to forget? Very little.
What do you like least about travel? Being crowded.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Chocolate.
Favorite travel app(s): Kayak.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Missed plane even though I was in airport early.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Norway.
Worst travel moment: On a small boat in a big storm near the Channel Islands when I was a teenager. I thought I was going to die.
What’s your dream destination? Home.
Favorite travel charity: Wish I had an answer.
Best travel tip: Always have essentials with you. I like Scottevest.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.