Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: George Hobica
Occupation: Travel writer, Creator of Airfarewatchdog.com
Residence: New York and Los Angeles
Short Bio: Travel writer for the last 30 years. Syndicated by McClatchy-Tribune News Service, contributor to Huffington Post, Frommers.com, various magazines and other media outlets. Founded Airfarewatchdog.com.
How often do you fly: Once or twice a month.
How many countries have you been to: I’ve lost track.
How many continents have you been to: All except Antartica
Favorite American city: Boston
Favorite international city: London
Least favorite country: China
Favorite World Heritage Site: Angkor Wat
Favorite airline: Singapore
Favorite aircraft type: A380
Aisle or window: Window
Favorite airport lounge: Virgin Atlantic, London
Favorite international airport: Singapore
Favorite hotel: Mandarin Oriental Bangkok
Favorite cruise line: Seabourn
Favorite island: St. Barts
Favorite fancy restaurant: Jean Georges, New York
Favorite hole in the wall: T J Oyster Bar, Bonita, CA
Favorite fruit: Mango
Least favorite food: I’ll eat anything.
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground) Champagne
Favorite travel movie(s): The Hangover
Favorite travel show(s): none
Favorite travel book(s): any travel writing by M.F.K. Fisher; the “rather” series rather New York City, rather Los Angeles, etc.
Right now I am reading: Going Solo, by Eric Klinenberg
Five things you bring on a plane: Bose noise-canceling headphones, earplugs, iPad, Macbook Air, a book.
What do you always seem to forget: nothing that I can remember.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Duty free booze is always helpful.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): the public transit map for whatever city I’m visiting, CityMaps2Go, TripAdvisor
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: most recently, getting on the wrong Amtrak Acela train (not the one to Washington, the one to Boston)
What’s your dream destination: my own bed
Best travel tip: Bring your own pillow.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.