Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Isabel Dréan
Occupation: Filmmaker & Founder Ultimate Dreamlife Abroad Competition
Residence: Los Angeles
College major: Social Studies
Short bio: Isabel Dréan began her artistic life as an actress in New York and Los Angeles. In 2001, in the midst of a trip around the world, she landed in Luang Prabang for a two-day stay and a series of events led her to open the first licensed bookshop of Laos. Her 10 years in Laos brought her to run multiple businesses: L’Étranger, Books & Tea Hive bar, Kopnoi Export Promotion Center. Since 2010, she is pursuing a filmmaking career. She now lives in Los Angeles with her two children.
How often do you fly? At least 4-5 times a year.
How many countries have you been to? Not sure, over 25. I usually go back to the ones I love.
How many continents have you been to? 4
Earliest travel memory: The first time I took a flight I was 15. I won a trip to Montreal from my small childhood hometown.
Favorite American city: It’s a tie between L.A. and New York.
Favorite international city: Prague.
Least favorite country: The one I haven’t been.
I have no desire to go to: North Korea.
Friendliest people in the world: Lao people.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Hmmm…
Favorite World Heritage Site: Luang Prabang.
Favorite airline: Europeans.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite U.S. airport: LAX.
Favorite international airport: Heathrow.
Favorite hotel: Any with four or five stars.
Favorite island: Santorini.
Favorite National Park: Grand Canyon.
Favorite fruit: Passionfruit.
Favorite food: Laotian.
Least favorite food: Mayo.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Mojito.
Favorite travel movie(s): The Wild.
Favorite travel show(s): Anything with Anthony Bourdain.
Favorite travel book(s): “Voyage D’une Parisienne à Lhassa.”
Right now I am reading: Tim Ferriss.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Travel + Leisure, National Geographic.
5 things you bring on a plane: Headset, my pillow, socks, sweater, chips.
What do you always seem to forget? Not to buy drinks before security checks.
What do you like least about travel? Security checks.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? I wish they wouldn’t. I find them to be a waste of money.
Favorite travel app(s): Hopper.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Almost missing a flight in Rome (in crutches and not hearing the call because I was listening to loud music) and having to walk in while everyone stared at me.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Barcelona.
Worst travel moment: Getting food poisoning at a Rolling Stones concert in Vienna.
What’s your dream destination? India.
Best travel tip: Travel slow. Less places, more time.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.