Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Joe Diaz
Occupation: Co-founder and Chief Product Officer, AFAR Media
Hometown: Palm Desert, CA
Residence: New York/San Francisco
College major: History
Short bio: Joe Diaz is a Co-founder of AFAR Media. He passionately believes that experiential travel is the best form of education and the more people who travel in a curious and open-minded way, the better our world will be.
How often do you fly? Every week.
How many countries have you been to? I don’t keep track.
How many continents have you been to? 6
Earliest travel memory: My first flight from PSP to SFO on Alaska Airlines when I was 5. The thrill of taking off has never left me.
Favorite American city: Over 100k: NYC. Under 100k: Aspen.
Favorite international city: Amsterdam.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: U.S.
Favorite World Heritage Site: San Miguel de Allende.
Favorite airline: Emirates.
Favorite aircraft type: G650.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite airport lounge: Virgin LHR.
Favorite U.S. airport: Palm Springs or Aspen.
Favorite international airport: Schiphol.
Favorite hotel: Ritz Carlton Montreal.
Favorite cruise line: Starfire.
Favorite island: Los Roques.
Favorite beach: The Baths, Virgin Gorda.
Favorite fancy restaurant: ABC Cocina.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Por Que No (Antigua, Guatemala).
Favorite bar: Peanut Butter Clif Crunch.
Favorite fruit: Watermelon.
Favorite food: Simple. Clean.
Least favorite food: Fast food.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Pinot Noir.
Favorite travel show(s): No Reservations.
Favorite travel book(s): “The Little Prince.”
Right now I am reading: “Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk” + “Wind, Sand, and Stars.”
5 things you bring on a plane: Noise-cancelling headphones; 1 book (print); iPad for newspapers and weekly magazines; a copy of AFAR.
What do you always seem to forget? Checked luggage. It’s against my religion.
What do you like least about travel? Flying commercially.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Top-shelf tequila.
Favorite travel app(s): AFAR and LinkedIn.
Worst travel moment: Food poisoning 3 hrs into a flight from Mumbai to Phoenix via LHR.
What’s your dream destination? Mozambique.
Favorite travel charity: Learning AFAR.
Best travel tip: Believe in the kindness of strangers
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.