Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Josh Gates
Occupation: Television host, adventurer, international monster hunter for hire.
Hometown: Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
Residence: Los Angeles, CA / airport lounges worldwide
Bio: For five seasons, explorer and adventurer Josh Gates has taken viewers around the world and off the map in a hilarious and thrilling search for the truth behind the world’s most enduring mysteries. As the host and Co Executive Producer of Destination Truth, he has set foot in more than ninety countries around the world. Each week Gates and his intrepid team set out to investigate myths, monsters, and paranormal reports from around the globe. They arranged for the first ever overnight filming in the storied royal tomb of King Tut and made history by spending an entire night in the shadow of the world’s worst nuclear accident at Chernobyl. An avid scuba diver, Josh has participated in sub-sea archaeological excavations in the Mediterranean, and his wanderlust has taken him from sweltering African villages to the icy heights of the Himalayas. In addition, he has scaled “the roof of Africa” on Mt. Kilimanjaro, and climbed the icy heights of Aconcagua, the tallest mountain in the Americas. Josh holds degrees from Tufts University in archaeology and drama, and was recently inducted into The Explorers Club, a prestigious organization dedicated to the advancement of exploration and field research.
How often do you fly? I average about 150,000 miles annually. When filming Destination Truth it works out to more than 75 flights a year.
How many countries have you been to? 93.
How many continents have you been to? 7.
Favorite American city? Boston.
Favorite international city? Bangkok.
Least favorite country? Wasn’t a huge fan of Kazakhstan.
Favorite airline? Singapore.
Favorite aircraft type? Still a sucker for the 747-400
Aisle or window? Window.
Favorite airport lounge? Emirates in Dubai.
Favorite U.S. airport? SFO.
Favorite international airport? Suvarnabhumi – Bangkok, Thailand.
Favorite hotel? Banyan Tree. Any of them.
Favorite cruise line? I’ve never set foot on a cruise ship.
Favorite island? Zanzibar. Or Manhattan.
Favorite fancy restaurant? I don’t really have ONE place. I recently had a killer meal at Asia de Cuba in L.A.
Favorite hole in the wall? Joe’s Pizza. Bleecker. Best slice in New York City.
Favorite travel movie(s): Raiders of the Lost Ark. “It’s not the years, honey. It’s the mileage.”
Favorite travel show(s): Am I an egomaniac if I name my own? Probably. Currently enjoying my pal Don Wildman’s “Off Limits.”
Five things you bring on a plane?
1. Bose noise-canceling headphones
3. A great book
4. A new pad of paper and a good pen.
5. A Breitling Emergency watch with onboard distress transmitter. You know. Just in case.
What do you always seem to forget? I’ve probably bought over $1,000 worth of Apple device chargers at this point. And batteries. I never remember to pack batteries.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Flight Card, basic Weather app, GoogleMaps, GateGuru, OpenTable
Favorite travel book(s): I usually have a tattered edition of something by Ray Bradbury on me.
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: Worst travel moment? That’s easy. Roof ripped off an old Russian Antonov plane in mid flight over the Romanian countryside. Not good.
What’s your dream destination? Maldives
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: TripAdvisor, Hipmunk. Worst goes to the new United Airlines website which is unbearable.
Best travel tip: It’s not about the destination, it’s about the getting there.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.