Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Kim Foley MacKinnon
Occupation: Food and travel writer
Hometown: Alexandria, Virginia
Residence: Boston, Massachusetts
College: University of Massachusetts, Boston
College major: English
Short bio: Kim Foley MacKinnon is a freelance food and travel writer who has lived in Boston for more than 25 years. As much as she loves to travel the globe, she’s always happy to come home and write about all her favorite places in Boston. Writing credits include the Boston Globe, Food Network, Forbes Travel, Travel + Leisure, Cruise Critic, Global Traveler, USA Today, and various AAA publications, among many others. She is the author of “100 Things to Do in Boston Before You Die, 2nd edition” and has also written and contributed to several guidebooks.
How often do you fly? Twice a month, minimum.
How many countries have you been to? 43
How many continents have you been to? 4
Earliest travel memory: Flying by myself when I was age three or four to visit my grandparents in Georgia. I remember I got wings from the captain!
Favorite American city: New Orleans.
Favorite international city: Florence.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Galapagos islands.
Favorite airline: JetBlue.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite National Park: Glacier Bay.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Red wine (both).
Favorite travel movie(s): Lost in Translation, movies based on Agatha Christie books.
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, Blue Planet and Planet Earth (BBC series).
Favorite travel book(s): This is too hard! But I do love to read fictional books set in a place I’m about to visit to get a feel for the area.
Right now I am reading: “Transcription” by Kate Atkinson.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! CNN Travel, Conde Nast Traveler, Fodor’s.
5 things you bring on a plane: Lots of books (love my Kindle), pashmina, eye shades, neck pillow and headphones.
What do you always seem to forget? Either contact lens solution or my toothbrush.
What do you like least about travel? The crazy crowds at airplane boarding.
Favorite travel app(s): TripIt, Priority Pass, Gate Guru.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Getting ready to fly to Germany with my family and discovering my husband’s passport was expired.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Sequoia National Park.
What’s your dream destination? Australia.
Favorite travel charity: Pack for a Purpose.
Best travel tip: Go with the flow.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.