Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Kirsten Alana
Occupation: Photographer and Travel Diarist
Hometown: East Calais, Vermont
Residence: A suitcase or backpack
Facebook: Kirsten Alana
Short Bio: Kirsten is a multi-talented travel diarist who roams the globe in search of stories to tell, people to help and growth experiences to share. She uses NYC as her base between trips but it is new experiences which are truly the space she inhabits as a home.
How often do you fly: As often as I can possibly manage, there is no such thing as too much.
How many countries have you been to: Under 20 still, but somewhere close to that number
How many continents have you been to: 4
Favorite American city: NYC, followed by San Francisco
Favorite international city: Paris or Barcelona
Favorite airline: Of those I have flown so far – Lufthansa, when flying on the A380
Favorite aircraft type: A380
Aisle or window: window
Favorite airport lounge: Any! I haven’t yet had too much experience with lounges, but any are preferable over the standard gate and waiting area.
Favorite U.S. airport: T5 at JFK, SFO or DEN
Favorite international airport: AMS or MUC
Favorite hotel: Budget – Tune, Luxury – Four Seasons
Favorite island: Mauritius
Favorite fancy restaurant: El Celler de Can Roca
Favorite hole in the wall: Does The Breakfast Club in London, count?
Favorite fruit: Raspberries
Favorite food: Dessert
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Guinness
Favorite travel movie(s): Up in the Air
Favorite travel show(s): No Reservations or Globe Trekker
Favorite travel book(s): Wanderlust: A Love Affair with Five Continents
Right now I am reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Five things you bring on a plane: MacBook, iPhone, Sony eReader, AFAR magazine, dramamine
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? I don’t like trinkets or souvenirs, I suppose perfume. (I don’t have a signature scent and I feel like I’m old enough now that that’s just something I should have?!)
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): AFAR Magazine’s wanderlists app, Expedia hotel booking, Lonely Planet, GateGuru, Google translate, WordLens, HopStop
What’s your dream destination: Cuba and Russia are tied for #1
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: National Geographic, Inside The Travel Lab, AFAR, Legal Nomads, Stories Of Conflict And Love, Maptia, Captain And Clark, World Travelist, Fevered Mutterings, Hecktic Travels, Lost In Cheeseland, Writing Through The Fog, Uncornered Market
Best travel tip: After you’ve finished packing, take out half the clothes and double the money you are taking. You can always buy what you need when you travel. Packing light is far far preferable to making sure one has everything one might possibly need. Also, get a global iPhone or other smart phone and have a global SIM or buy a SIM in every country.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.