Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Kristin Luna
Occupation: Journalist & Social Media Strategist
Hometown: Tullahoma, Tennessee
Residence: Somewhere near Nashville
Short Bio: Luna is a working member of the travel and entertainment media who has written several guidebooks for Frommer’s and contributes regularly to a large variety of national magazines and newspapers.
How often do you fly: A few times a month…I prefer to arrive in a region via plane then travel to surrounding countries by train, ship or bus if possible; it mixes things up and keeps it interesting.
How many countries have you been to: Around 100
How many continents have you been to: 6
Favorite American city: New Orleans
Favorite international city: It’s a three-way tie: Cape Town, Berlin or Edinburgh.
Least favorite country: China
Favorite World Heritage Site: West Norwegian Fjords
Favorite airline: Virgin Atlantic/America
Favorite aircraft type: Boeing 747-400
Aisle or window: Aisle for short domestic flights because I’m claustrophobic and those planes are typically much smaller; window for international and overnight flights on a larger aircraft.
Favorite airport lounge: Virgin Atlantic
Favorite U.S. airport: BNA (Nashville), because the airport is so clean and manageable, easy to get in and out of, and there is never a line at security!
Favorite international airport: AMS (Amsterdam Schiphol airport)
Favorite hotel: Any of the W Hotels, whether Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale or beyond.
Favorite cruise line: The Institute for Shipboard Education’s MV Explorer; the non-profit organization continually operates, annually offering three Semester at Sea voyages, two that go around the world, one that explores the Mediterranean, and two Enrichment Voyage “cruises” open to anyone.
Favorite island: Mataking Island off of Borneo and One Foot Island in the Cooks.
Favorite fruit: Strawberries
Favorite food: Peanut butter
Least favorite food: Cucumbers
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground): Bulleit bourbon and ginger ale for every occasion…I’m a true Southern girl at heart.
Favorite travel movie(s): In Bruges… even though it’s a pretty violent movie, the panoramas of Belgium are just stunning.
Favorite travel show(s): The Amazing Race
Favorite travel book(s): State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
Right now I am reading: Looking for Alaska by John Green
Five things you bring on a plane: Silicone earplugs, eye drops, my MacBook Pro, a Kindle, a stack of Entertainment Weeklys.
What do you always seem to forget: A toothbrush… I’m a walking cliché.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty-free store? Chocolate—always chocolate!
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Yelp, AutoStitch, Skyscanner, Kayak, TripAdvisor
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: Having a seven-hour connection to Guatemala at LAX and missing it because I took a nap in a hallway and didn’t realize I’d have to switch terminals! To be fair, I asked at the gate to confirm but received false information. From now on, I’ll get to my final gate first and then sleep! That moment tied the time I led a group of students on a tour of Cambodia and almost was denied at the border for not having any empty passport pages.
What’s your dream destination: Micronesia… I’m an avid scuba diver, so I’m keen on places where I can get my fins wet.
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: I read a whole lot of travel blogs on a daily basis, and I really love The Everywhereist, Alex in Wanderland, the Road Forks, Lost in Cheeseland and Inside the Travel Lab, among many others.
Best travel tip: My good friend Johnny Jet told me long ago only ever to travel with a carry-on, and if I’m going somewhere for 10 days or less, I almost always follow his advice.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.