Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Leah Davis
Occupation: Social Media Consultant and Travel Blogger
Hometown: Cashmere, Washington
Residence: Flitting around the globe, currently in Europe
College: University of California, Berkeley
College major: Nutritional Sciences
Facebook: The Sweetest Way
Pinterest: The Sweetest Way
Short bio: I’m a small town girl that began following my dream of traveling after graduating college. I’ve worked overseas as an English teacher, backpacked on four continents, explored many wonders of the world, and now can’t imagine a life without travel. These days I’m fully location independent and run my online businesses from the road. My website, The Sweetest Way, is aimed at helping others find their own sense of freedom through the practical advice and guidance. I also just wrote my first eBook on location independence, a sort of how-to guide for beginners.
How often do you fly? On average, twice a month.
How many countries have you been to? 32
How many continents have you been to? 4
Earliest travel memory: The earliest trip I remember was visiting Hawaii when I was 6 years old. My family went there frequently so I have very fond memories!
Favorite American city: Tie between New York and San Francisco.
Favorite international city: Barcelona.
Least favorite country: I didn’t love Singapore.
I have no desire to go to: At the moment, Egypt.
Friendliest people in the world: Cambodia.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Vietnam.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Machu Picchu.
Favorite airline: No preference, I fly whatever’s cheapest.
Favorite aircraft type: Any that have personal entertainment systems.
Aisle or window: Aisle for long-haul, window for short-haul.
Favorite airport lounge: The United lounge at Dallas was lovely.
Favorite U.S. airport: Denver.
Favorite international airport: Bangkok Suvarnabhumi has fab architecture.
Favorite hotel: Sofitel So Bangkok.
Favorite cruise line: Never been on a cruise! Maybe someday.
Favorite travel credit card: Capital One Venture Card.
Favorite island: The San Blas Islands of Panama, so unique and isolated!
Favorite beach: Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsundays of Australia.
Favorite fancy restaurant: I had a really lovely experience at Craft in NYC recently! Incredible wine list.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Mayahuel in the East Village of Manhattan, it’s like a Mexican speakeasy and they make the most amazing mezcal cocktails! But if we’re talking truly hole-in-the-wall, Chiang Mai, Thailand is full of great ones.
Favorite bar: Anyplace with a great view! Rooftop bars are the best.
Favorite fruit: Mango, nature’s candy!
Favorite food: Anything spicy—Thai food and Mexican are my favorites!
Least favorite food: Seafood. Clams might take the cake.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Red wine, always.
Favorite travel movie(s): The Darjeeling Limited.
Favorite travel show(s): I used to be a big fan of No Reservations. Now it’s Planet Earth, and my guilty pleasure, House Hunters International.
Favorite travel book(s): “The Alchemist,” “Love in the Time of Cholera,” “The Unbearable Lightness of Being.”
Right now I am reading: A couple of self-help books actually—”Choose Yourself” by James Altucher and “50 Ways to Yay” by Alexi Panos.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Conde Nast, National Geographic, Afar.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: NomadList.com is an amazing resource for digital nomads, and I love Legal Nomads for the inspired storytelling.
5 things you bring on a plane: An eye mask, earplugs, a book to read, a snack and moist towelettes.
What do you always seem to forget? A toothbrush. I have to buy new ones all the time.
What do you like least about travel? The bureaucracy…filing for visas and extensions, border runs, anything involving paperwork!
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store?: HOT SAUCE. And chocolate.
Favorite travel app(s): HotelTonight, Skyscanner.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Crying in airports. Happens all the time.
I’m embarrassed but I haven’t been to: The Grand Canyon!
Worst travel moment: Almost missing my flight to Venezuela because I didn’t have onward travel and being forced to buy a return flight for nearly $500.
What’s your dream destination? Somewhere in the Caribbean—St. Lucia maybe.
Favorite travel charity: Not a charity per se, but my friend’s organization LokalTravel.com works with local tour operators and vendors around the world to provide authentic experiences to travelers while supporting local economies and small businesses that might otherwise have a hard time reaching their target market due to limited resources.
Best travel tip: Get restaurant and nightlife recommendations from locals—they always know the best places and can send you off the tourist trail. Experiencing a city like someone who lives there is always my goal!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.