Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Marshall Jackson
Occupation: Safety Guru by day, Blogger at BoardingArea.com by night
Hometown: Raleigh, North Carolina
Residence: Atlanta, Georgia
College: University of North Carolina – Charlotte
College major: Political Science
Facebook: Marshall Jackson on Travel
Google+: Marshall Jackson
YouTube: MJ on Travel
Short bio: Marshall Jackson has been an aviation enthusiast since his first trip to the airport at the ripe old age of six. Nine years later Marshall’s aviation ambitions took to the air with his first flying lesson in a Piper Cherokee. He spent 10 years with one of the world’s largest airlines in operations and airport management traveling all over the world performing safety compliance audits at airports and maintenance facilities. Later, he moved on to a new career that includes plenty of travel, just the way he likes it. In August 2006, Marshall started MJ on Travel to share a few travel pointers with a close circle of friends. The blog moved to BoardingArea.com in 2008, where he’s been happily blogging about his travels, especially cruising the high seas, ever since.
How often do you fly? Every other week or so, I’m usually flying somewhere.
How many countries have you been to? 25
How many continents have you been to? 5
Earliest travel memory: I flew as an unaccompanied minor from Raleigh, NC to Washington, DC on Eastern Air Lines. I was 10 years old….and I was hooked.
Favorite American city: Chicago.
Favorite international city: Rome.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: USA.
Favorite airline: Delta Air Lines.
Favorite aircraft type: B757-200—you can feel the power.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: One with Lufthansa First Class on the door.
Favorite U.S. airport: DCA.
Favorite international airport: AMS.
Favorite cruise line: Royal Caribbean.
Favorite travel credit card: American Express Platinum.
Favorite island: Aruba.
Favorite bar: Get Wet Beach Bar, St. Maarten.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: I’ve always enjoyed the multitude of blogs on BoardingArea.com, Condé Naste Traveler, and Travel + Leisure.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! FlyerTalk.com, Milepoint.com, and CruiseCritic.com.
5 things you bring on a plane: MacBook Air, iPad, Bose QC20i’s, a granola bar, and a bottle of water. Hydration is key!
What do you like least about travel? The “us against them” mentality from some airport security staff, and even a few airline employees. Fortunately, that’s not much of an issue with Delta, which is one reason I like flying them.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Nothing. Just get home…or to wherever I am waiting for you. But if Mrs MJ insists…. red wine will do.
Favorite travel app(s): TripIt and FlyDelta. I’m currently experimenting with WorldMate, which I like a lot, but unlike TripIt, it won’t auto-import cruise itineraries at the moment. If you know me, you know that’s not a small deal!
Most embarrassing travel moment: I once booked a flight for the wrong day. It was well beyond the 24-hour free cancellation period when I figured out what I had done. I called the Platinum line and started with “I’m an idiot.” They took sympathy on me. A little humility can go a long way.
Worst travel moment: Realizing I’d left home for the airport without some very important medication. Had to reschedule by a day.
What’s your dream destination? I’m the only person I know that hasn’t been to the Maldives…so I have to go.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.