Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Martin Lumbye
Occupation: Partner, Momondo
Hometown: Aarhus, Denmark
Residence: Copenhagen, Denmark
Short Bio: Martin Lumbye is Partner at Momondo which was launched in Denmark in September 2006. His role at Momondo is mainly marketing, communications and business development. Momondo has quickly become one of Scandinavia’s most popular travel meta-search websites. Today, it is an international site with a very compelling range of services, which enable consumers to quickly search for and book a trip. Services include flights, car rental, hotels, travel guides, multi-destination booking and many high speed rail routes. Compared to 2011, Momondo has experienced 29% more visits in the first 6 months of 2012 and a growth rate of 41% in unique visitors. Hence, Momondo has experienced an overall increase in direct traffic of 22%, reflecting that fact many first-time Momondo users return to Momondo subsequently to find their next flight or vacation.
How often do you fly: 4-6 times a month
How many countries have you been to: Around 30 countries
How many continents have you been to: 4
Favorite American city: New York. It might sound like a cliché, but I get so inspired by New York’s lights and pulse.
Favorite international city: Paris, Bangkok.
Least favorite country: I don’t think I can mention one. Some cities can be so chaotic and crowded, but then when you leave the city, you realize that it was also fascinating, vibrant and in some ways inspirational.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Borobudur Temple Compounds, Indonesia.
Favorite airline: Singapore Airlines but mostly I fly low cost when I fly within Europe.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite airport lounge: The SAS Lounge in Copenhagen International Airport. The lounge makes use of local Scandinavian design and materials and has a giant kaleidoscope sculpture suspended from the ceiling designed by the Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson.
Favorite U.S. airport: Detroit Metropolitan with the beautiful colorful light tunnel that inspires me to travel even more.
Favorite international airport: Munich Airport, which is so aesthetic with its “urban landscapes”.
Favorite hotel: I enjoy staying close to the centre of the cities I visit, that’s really what’s important to me. I use Momondo to search for hotels – here I can filter my search by map and enter the location I want to stay close to.
Favorite island: Island !
Favorite fancy restaurant: Noma, Copenhagen, which is currently recognized as the world’s best restaurant for the third time. At Momondo we are truly inspired by Noma, which is why we have co-published a guidebook to Copenhagen called “Copenhagen from Noma + Momondo”. I also highly recommend Era Ora which is still the first and only Italian Michelin restaurant in Scandinavia.
Favorite fruit: Mango has such a perfect combination of sweet and sour.
Favorite food: Asian food, especially Vietnamese with all the fresh vegetables and aromatic herbs.
Least favorite food: I will never be a big fan of liver.
Drink of choice (In the air and on the ground) Ice water.
Favorite travel show(s): Travel documentaries.
Favorite travel book(s): Alan Moorehead’s “The White Nile” about the daring exploration of the Nile River in the second half of the nineteenth century. So historic, yet so relevant and fascinating.
Right now I am reading: – outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.
Five things you bring on a plane: Earplugs, gum, my Macbook, And a toothbrush… of course.
What do you always seem to forget: iPhone and an international adapter.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport duty free store? Music or latest monocle magazine.
Favorite travel iPhone app(s): Airport apps, Yelp – which helps me find restaurants and other businesses in my area – and of course the Momondo app, where I can search for flights on my iPhone and book directly on the supplier site.
Most embarrassing/worst travel moment: When I stood in Paris, on my way back to Copenhagen and found out that my passport was expired.
What’s your dream destination: New Zealand.
Favorite travel website(s) – besides JohnnyJet.com, of course!: I’ll have to say Momondo, which makes it much easier and cheaper to travel the globe and share experiences.
Best travel tip: Stop wasting time surfing the web for the best flights and hotels. Use a meta-search site, like Momondo to search through hundreds of travel sites at once and identify the best fares and prices available online.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.