Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Michael McAuliffe
Occupation: Attorney, Author
Hometown: Washington, DC
Residence: West Palm Beach, FL & Chilmark, MA
College: University of Texas at Austin (BBA) and William & Mary Law School (JD)
College major: Business Honors Program/Marketing
Short bio: Michael McAuliffe is the author of “No Truth Left to Tell” and has been a practicing lawyer for 30 years. He was a federal prosecutor serving both as a supervisory assistant U.S. attorney in the Southern District of Florida and a trial attorney in the Criminal Section of the Civil Rights Division at the Department of Justice in Washington, DC. Michael and his wife Robin Rosenberg, a U.S. district judge, have three children and live in Florida and Massachusetts.
How often do you fly? Every week or two.
How many countries have you been to? Many, many dozens.
How many continents have you been to? Asia, Africa, South America, North America, Europe.
Earliest travel memory: Flying to England to live as a young child.
Favorite American city: Telluride, Colorado.
Favorite international city: Prague, Czech Republic.
Least favorite country: Belgium (may have been because trip was to an old, polluted factory).
I have no desire to go to: Somalia.
Friendliest people in the world: Nepalese.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: My experience has been slow, not mean.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Český Krumlov.
Favorite airline: JetBlue.
Favorite aircraft type: Airbus 380.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite airport lounge: Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse (JFK).
Favorite U.S. airport: RDU.
Favorite international airport: London Heathrow.
Favorite hotel: Savoy, London.
Favorite cruise line: None.
Favorite travel credit card: JetBlue Plus card.
Favorite island: Martha’s Vineyard.
Favorite beach: Lucy Vincent Beach, Chilmark.
Favorite National Park: Denali National Park.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Rooh, San Francisco.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Daily Catch (North End of Boston).
Favorite bar: My deck in Chilmark, MA.
Favorite fruit: Peach.
Favorite food: Italian.
Least favorite food: Czech meat dishes.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Manhattan.
Favorite travel movie(s): Touching the Void.
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown.
Favorite travel book(s): “A Walk In the Woods” (Bill Bryson).
Right now I am reading: “Prague Spring” (novel by Simon Mawer).
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Outside; The Sunday Times Travel Magazine; Nomadic Matt
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Google Flights.
5 things you bring on a plane: Comfy sweatpants; extra shirt; book; toothbrush; Advil.
What do you always seem to forget? Ambien.
What do you like least about travel? Flight delays with missed connections.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Nothing.
Favorite travel app(s): AllTrails.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Almost completely shut, infected red eyes on 16-hr. flight from Abu Dhabi to JFK when returning from a month spent in Nepal. My wife wanted me to go straight to the emergency room without even a hug hello.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Grand Canyon.
Worst travel moment: Having full-on flu while flying back to U.S. from China. Spent flight curled up for hours at a time in business class lavatory.
What’s your dream destination? Most places I haven’t been to yet.
Favorite travel charity: Appalachian Trail Conservancy.
Best travel tip: Get into the traveler’s mentality and don’t count time.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.