Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Michele Sponagle
Occupation: Travel writer and editor
Hometown: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Residence: Paris, Ontario, Canada
College major: Journalism
Google+: Michele Sponagle
Short bio: Michele Sponagle is a journalist, author and editor with over 20 years in journalism. She is a prolific contributor of lifestyle and travel features to many top publications and websites. She is the current president of the Travel Media Association of Canada. Her first book, Tales From Dog River: The Complete Corner Gas Guide, was published in 2006 by Penguin Canada. It debuted in second spot among new titles, and was a number-one bestseller for six consecutive weeks.
How often do you fly? Once a month minimum.
How many countries have you been to? 65
How many continents have you been to? 5
Earliest travel memory: Road trips with my family to western and eastern Canada and learning to read a map.
Favorite American city: Los Angeles.
Favorite international city: Paris.
Least favorite country: Spain.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: No comment for my protection.
Favorite airline: Singapore.
Favorite aircraft type: 787 Dreamliner.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: Emirates in Dubai.
Favorite U.S. airport: Buffalo, New York. Small and close to where I live.
Favorite international airport: Vancouver.
Favorite hotel: Any Four Seasons will do.
Favorite cruise line: Holland America.
Favorite travel credit card: Aeroplan Visa.
Favorite island: Bali.
Favorite beach: Any of the ones on Anguilla.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Hawksworth in Vancouver.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: King’s Noodle House in Toronto.
Favorite bar: The Rusty Spur in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Favorite fruit: Maui pineapple.
Favorite food: Pizza.
Least favorite food: Eggs.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Champagne, darling!
Favorite travel movie(s): Amelie, set in Paris.
Favorite travel show(s): None.
Favorite travel book(s): Eat, Pray, Love, mainly because I love mocking it.
Right now I am reading: Johnny Cash biography.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Huffingtonpost.com, Travel & Leisure, National Geographic.
5 things you bring on a plane: iPad (loaded with nextissue.ca and Candy Crush), noise-cancelling headphones, and hand sanitizer.
What do you always seem to forget? Chargers.
What do you like least about travel? Delays in airports.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Great scotch.
Favorite travel app(s): Seatguru.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Walking into the men’s bathroom by mistake in the Lima airport.
Worst travel moment: Being hassled by vendors in Tangiers, Morocco. They were unyielding!
What’s your dream destination: Maldives.
Favorite travel charity: Worldvision.org.
Best travel tip: I love Post-It Notes. I use them to affix messages for hotel housekeeping staff on mirrors and I write myself reminders of what I need to replenish in my toiletry kit as I go.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.