Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Mike Swigunski
Hometown: St. Louis, MO
Residence: Medellin, Colombia
College: University of Missouri and Chonnam National University
College major: Finance and Real Estate then an MBA in Marketing
Facebook: Swig Meets World
Short bio: Mike Swigunski has been working and traveling full-time since 2011 and his journey has taken him to over 70+ countries. In that time, he’s worked in seven countries and is currently working an online and remote job that allows him to work anywhere in the world from the comfort of his laptop. In his book, “Global Career: How to Work Anywhere and Travel Forever,” Mike pulls back the curtain and shares everything he’s learned from ten years of trial and error about how to travel long term and radically advance your career.
How often do you fly? 2-3 times a month.
How many countries have you been to? 76 countries.
How many continents have you been to? Six continents (except Antarctica).
Earliest travel memory: Going to Disney World as a kid, but also going to Las Vegas when I was nine-years old.
Favorite American city: New York City.
Favorite international city: Split, Croatia.
Least favorite country: Andorra.
I have no desire to go to: I want to go everywhere!
Friendliest people in the world: South Korea.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Russia.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Machu Picchu, Peru.
Favorite airline: Emirates.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: Centurion Lounge in Miami.
Favorite U.S. airport: Miami.
Favorite international airport: Madrid.
Favorite hotel: Hilton Serbia.
Favorite cruise line: Royal Caribbean.
Favorite travel credit card: Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Favorite island: Whitsundays, Australia.
Favorite beach: Whitsundays, Australia.
Favorite National Park: Plitvice Lakes National Park.
Favorite fancy restaurant: 58 Tour Eiffel (inner on the Eiffel Tower).
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Mulligan’s Bar and Grill (St. Louis, MO).
Favorite fruit: Kiwi.
Favorite food: Surf and turf.
Least favorite food: Foie gras.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Iced tea and water.
Favorite travel movie(s): Samsara.
Favorite travel show(s): No Reservations, Idiot Abroad and Travel Man.
Favorite travel podcast(s): “Travel With Rick Steves.”
Favorite travel book(s): “1,000 Places to See Before You Die.”
Right now I am reading: “American Kingpin.”
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: The Points Guy, Nerd Wallet, Nomadic Matt.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! The Points Guy.
5 things you bring on a plane:
- Melatonin for sleeping
- Lots of offline media like audiobooks, kindle books and movies
- Nintendo Switch
What do you always seem to forget? Phone chargers, but honestly not much.
What do you like least about travel? Long security lines.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Exotic chocolates.
Favorite travel app(s): TripIt—this is a must-have app.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Missing our ferry in Greece.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: The Grand Canyon.
Worst travel moment: Hitchhiking New Zealand in the rain and not getting picked up!
What’s your dream destination? Safari in South Africa.
Favorite travel charity: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Best travel tip: You’re most likely overpacking, try limiting your travel stuff to one carry-on bag only. This will make traveling so much faster and saves hours by allowing you to bypass long check-in lines and go directly to security via mobile check-in. This has literally saved me days since I travel so frequently.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.