Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Richard Kirshenbaum
Occupation: Adman and novelist
Hometown: New York City
Residence: New York City
College: Syracuse University
College major: Advertising
Facebook: Richard Kirshenbaum
Short bio: Richard Kirshenbaum is the author of “Rouge: A Novel of Beauty and Rivalry.” He is CEO of NSG/SWAT, a high-profile boutique branding agency. He has lectured at Harvard Business School, has appeared on 20/20, was named to Crain’s New York Business’s “40 under 40” list, and has been inducted into the Advertising Hall of Fame.
How often do you fly? Every other month.
How many countries have you been to? More than I can count.
How many continents have you been to? Numerous.
Earliest travel memory: Flying to Florida to see my grandparents on Eastern Airlines.
Favorite American city: Los Angeles.
Favorite international city: Rome.
Least favorite country: Anywhere where there is no body of water.
I have no desire to go to: Anywhere where there is no beach.
Friendliest people in the world: Italy and Ireland by far.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: People are nice everywhere if you are nice to them.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Venice.
Favorite airline: JetBlue Mint.
Favorite aircraft type: Anything with a flatbed.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite airport lounge: Rome—the pasta is fresh in the first class lounge.
Favorite U.S. airport: Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport.
Favorite international airport: Nice Côte d’Azur Airport.
Favorite hotel: Grand Hotel Quisisana in Capri.
Favorite cruise line: My wife gets seasick so I can’t comment. And we are landllubbers.
Favorite travel credit card: AMEX, Starwood.
Favorite island: Capri.
Favorite beach: Fontelina Beach Club, Capri.
Favorite fancy restaurant: High-tea at Ashford Castle.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: The Thirsty Scholar, NYC.
Favorite bar: The Sunshine Shack, Anguilla.
Favorite fruit: Watermelon.
Favorite food: Spaghetti aglio e olio.
Least favorite food: Kale and anything overly rare.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Italian white on Alitalia.
Favorite travel movie(s): The Devil Wears Prada (Paris scenes).
Favorite travel show(s): Vintage Anthony Bourdain.
Favorite travel book(s): “Under the Tuscan Sun.”
Right now I am reading: “Kiss Carlo” by Adriana Trigiani.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Fathom Away, Fodors and Departures.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Yelp reviews.
5 things you bring on a plane: iPod, lightweight coat (to be used as a blanket), dried apples, pretzels, spritzer.
What do you like least about travel? Jetlag.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Snow globes.
Favorite travel app(s): TripAdvisor reviews.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Sitting next to a top celeb, not recognizing them and asking them what they did for a living.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: Lisbon.
Worst travel moment: I missed a flight to Madrid because I left my passport at home.
What’s your dream destination? I would love to spend two weeks in India.
Favorite travel charity: Any local charity box.
Best travel tip: Board the plane early so you can store your luggage overhead and not away from your seat and have to scramble when the plane lands.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.