Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Sharon Schweitzer
Occupation: Cross-cultural consultant, international etiquette expert and bestselling author of “Access to Asia: Your Multicultural Business Guide,” wife, sister, aunt, and fairy godmother
Hometown: Third Culture Kid, born in California, graduated High School in Virginia Beach Virginia, graduated College in Ohio, graduated law school in Texas
Residence: Austin, Texas
College: Ohio State University. University of Oxford. South Texas College of Law.
College major: Sociology. Pre-law & Humanities. Law.
Facebook: Protocol & Etiquette Worldwide
Pinterest: Sharon Schweitzer
Google+: Sharon Schweitzer
Short bio: Sharon Schweitzer, J.D., is a cross-cultural consultant, an international protocol expert and the founder of Protocol & Etiquette Worldwide. She is accredited in intercultural management, is a regular on-air contributor and has been quoted by BBC Capital, Investor’s Business Daily, Fortune, Inc., The New York Times, The Vancouver Sun, The Bangkok Post, and numerous other media. She is the best-selling, international award-winning author of “Access to Asia: Your Multicultural Business Guide,” which was named to the Best Books of 2015 by Kirkus Reviews.
How often do you fly? 2-3 times a month.
How many countries have you been to? 60 plus & counting.
How many continents have you been to? All seven: Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, and South America.
Earliest travel memory: A tie between cruising cross-country in our station wagon with my parents, brothers & sisters learning all 50 states and their capitals AND flying long-haul flights to/from Japan with my dolls as a young girl.
Favorite American city: Austin, Texas, my home base for the past 27 years.
Favorite international city: Marrakesh,
Least favorite country: I don’t have a least favorite country.
I have no desire to go to: North Korea.
Friendliest people in the world: I’ve found them on all seven continents.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: I’ve not met one.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Great Barrier Reef, Galapagos Islands, Old Havana, Old City of Jerusalem & Walls, Palestine Church of the Nativity, Cesky Krumlov, Taj Mahal, Fez Medina, The Great Wall, Petra, City of Cuzco, Historic Centre of St. Petersburg, Kremlin & Red Square, Serengeti National Park, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Everglades National Park.
Favorite airline: Emirates and American Airlines.
Favorite aircraft type: Airbus 380.
Aisle or window: Depends on length & time of flight.
Favorite airport lounge: United Airlines First Class Lounge Sydney, Australia.
Favorite U.S. airport: DFW.
Favorite international airport: Singapore Changi Airport.
Favorite cruise line: Seaborne & Uniworld.
Favorite travel credit card: American Express Platinum.
Favorite island: Hayman Island on the Great Barrier Reef.
Favorite beach: Coconut Beach on Hayman Island.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Polkadots Cupcake Factory in Austin, Texas.
Favorite fruit: Lychee, dragon fruit, passionfruit.
Favorite food: Is champagne a food?
Least favorite food: Eggs.
Drink of choice: Water in the air; champagne on the ground.
Favorite travel movie(s): Seven Years in Tibet, Monsoon Wedding and Dr. Zhivago.
Favorite travel book(s): “Access to Asia.”
Right now I am reading: “The Sleep Revolution“ by Arianne Huffington.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Kiplinger and KAYAK.
5 things you bring on a plane: Missoni wrap, travel journal, universal battery charger, all my technological gadgets, and moisturizers.
What do you always seem to forget? Nothing, I keep a bag packed & use a list.
What do you like least about travel? Jetlag.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Chocolate.
Favorite travel app(s): TripAdvisor, Hopper and Duolingo.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Suitcase falling open when valet picked it up.
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: The Albert Schweitzer Hospital in Lambarene, now Gabon, West Central Africa.
What’s your dream destination? Tahiti, Fiji, Maldives, Seychelles, Bora Bora, Turks & Caicos, Kenya, Gabon.
Favorite travel charity: Nature Conservancy.
Best travel tip: 1. Photograph your luggage & keep it in your phone 2. Be curious, try different adventures and travel to new destinations to keep your mind engaged.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.