Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Steve Kaufmann
Occupation: Chairman KP Wood Ltd. Co-Founder LingQ.com
Hometown: Montreal, Canada
Residence: West Vancouver, Canada
College: L’Institut d’Etudes Politiques, Paris, France
College major: International Relations
YouTube: Steve Kaufmann – lingosteve
Short bio: Steve Kaufmann is a graduate of L’Institut d’Etudes Politiques in Paris, France (1966) and a former Canadian Diplomat and forest industry executive. He is co-founder (with his son Mark) of LingQ.com, an online language learning system, and community. Steve speaks 15 languages, has written a book called “The Way of the Linguist, A Language Learning Odyssey” and has a YouTube channel under the name of lingosteve.
How often do you fly? 5-6 times a year.
How many countries have you been to? 20
How many continents have you been to? 5
Earliest travel memory: Passenger vessel from Norway to Canada.
Favorite American city: Boston.
Favorite international city: Paris.
Least favorite country: Finland.
I have no desire to go to: Nigeria.
Friendliest people in the world: Southern Italy.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: US.
Favorite World Heritage Site: Pompeii.
Favorite airline: Koreana.
Favorite aircraft type: Indifferent.
Aisle or window: Aisle.
Favorite airport lounge: Hong Kong.
Favorite U.S. airport: Palm Springs.
Favorite international airport: Vancouver.
Favorite hotel: Chatrium Hotel, Yangon.
Favorite cruise line: Never been.
Favorite travel credit card: Visa.
Favorite island: Barbados.
Favorite beach: Cannes, France.
Favorite fancy restaurant: Paul Bocuse, Sud Lyon, France.
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Kingyo Izakaya, Vancouver.
Favorite bar: Cuistot Restaurant Palm Springs for happy hour.
Favorite fruit: Mango.
Favorite food: Fish on a grill with herbs and vegetables.
Least favorite food: Persian.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Red wine.
Favorite travel movie(s): Indiana Jones.
Favorite travel show(s): Anthony Bourdain.
Favorite travel book(s): “Black Lamb and Grey Falcon” by Rebecca West.
Right now I am reading: “Lingo: Around Europe In Sixty Languages” by Gaston Dorren.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: Don’t follow.
Favorite travel website(s): Besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Booking.com and Fodor’s.
5 things you bring on a plane: Kindle, iPad, iPhone, chewing gum (for ears), iPod nano to listen to language I am learning.
What do you always seem to forget? No pattern.
What do you like least about travel? Airline security procedures.
What do you want your loved one to buy you from an airport Duty Free store? Glenlivet.
Favorite travel app(s): Booking.com.
Most embarrassing travel moment: When I arrived at airport with others to go to Japan on business and passport had expired.
I’m embarrassed but I haven’t been to: Angkor Wat.
Worst travel moment: Freezing while spending night outside in the Alpes-Maritimes while waiting for a ride, hitchhiking from Grenoble to Nice (50 years ago).
What’s your dream destination? Lago di Como.
Favorite travel charity: None.
Best travel tip: Learn the language before you go.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.