Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Tamara Elliott
Occupation: Travel writer and communications strategist
Hometown: Calgary, Canada
College: Mount Royal University in Calgary, Canada
College major: Communications- Journalism
Facebook: Globe Guide
Pinterest: Globe Guide
Google+: Tamara Elliott (Globe Guide)
Short bio: Tamara is the founder of the travel website Globe Guide, which highlights unique destinations and experiences around the world while sharing savvy travel tips. Her journalism career has included memorable moments such as covering Michael Jackson’s memorial service in LA, and getting her butt kicked by celeb trainer Jillian Michaels. Her travel writing has appeared in publications including AFAR magazine and Global News, and has been featured by the likes of Lonely Planet, Frommer’s and MoneySense magazine. Her favourite travel experiences include staying in an overwater bungalow in the Maldives, cruising through the Galapagos Islands on a yacht and taking a scenic flight over Australia’s Great Barrier Reef.
How often do you fly? About four long-hauls and a dozen short-hauls each year…plus countless roadtrips!
How many countries have you been to? 41
How many continents have you been to? 5: North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Australasia.
Earliest travel memory: Spending every summer at Okanagan Lake in Naramata, BC, with my family. It’s a popular wine region which I obviously couldn’t take advantage of at the time. All the more reason to head back!
Favorite American city: While I can’t get enough of the energy of New York City, I’m still partial to Miami Beach—it’s my happy place.
Favorite international city: Rome.
I have no desire to go to: Somalia.
Friendliest people in the world: Japan. They’re so accommodating and polite, they even put us Canadians to shame!
Country with the meanest immigration officers: USA. Oh great, now that I said that they’re probably going to red flag me…if they haven’t already…
Favorite World Heritage Site: I’ve got to go with Canada’s Rocky Mountain parks—I’m so lucky to have them in my backyard!
Favorite airline: Singapore Airlines, or Air North (and since few people even know Air North exists, here’s why it’s so amazing!).
Favorite aircraft type: Dreamliner. But if I got the chance to travel on a private jet, it’s safe to say that would be my favourite.
Aisle or window: Always window—I need my sleep.
Favorite airport lounge: Any lounge that serves champagne. With breakfast.
Favorite international airport: Singapore’s Changi Airport, no contest.
Favorite hotel: The slogan for Kempinski hotels is “Beyond 5-star luxury”—which is completely accurate.
Favorite cruise line: Viking Cruises. They spoil their passengers so much that it’s impossible to book with another cruise line after travelling with them!
Favorite travel credit card: The WestJet World Elite MasterCard, which gives you a companion pass each year and waives baggage fees.
Favorite beach: Any beach in the Maldives—what an incredible place!
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Girl Tweets World, The Travel Hack and Adventurous Kate.
Things you bring on a plane: Noise-cancelling headphones, eye mask, pillow—did I mention I really like sleeping?
What do you like least about travel? Navigating. My sense of direction is so bad, I can get turned around in a shopping mall!
Favorite travel app(s): Instagram and Snapseed—I’m obsessed with travel photography!
I’m embarrassed I haven’t been to: The UK.
Worst travel moment: Some unfortunate travel moments that come to mind are having to climb a mountain in Crocs for two days after losing my shoes, getting locked in a hostel shower in Madrid, and finding myself stuck without cash while travelling solo in Belgium. However, the worst was when I got robbed while on a bike tour in Montreal. The thief stole my purse right out of my basket—while I was riding!
What’s your dream destination? A safari in South Africa or Tanzania
Best travel tip: Tucking dryer sheets between your clothes then organizing them in packing cubes. It keeps everything organized and smelling fresh.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.