Want to know how to travel in style, just like the pros? We check in with frequent fliers to find out how often they fly, their favorite destinations and what they never leave home without.
Name: Taylor Michie
Occupation: Social media assistant at SmartFlyer; Aviation correspondent at Airchive; freelance travel journalist and photographer
Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina
Residence: Annapolis, Maryland / New York City
College: Fordham University
College major: International relations
Short bio: From an early early age, Taylor Michie was always on the move, in relentless pursuit of the next big adventure. Eventually, adventures moved from the backyard to Brussels, Alicante, Frankfurt, Marrakech, and a handful of additional places in far and wide. Taylor spent his early teenage years guest writing for the Volvo Ocean Race’s public relations team, before transitioning to freelance work. While working as a travel journalist and photographer, he covered events for the likes of Delta Air Lines, Lufthansa, Brussels Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Ethiopian Airlines, and Boeing.
Taylor’s work has appeared in AFAR, The Huffington Post, and, most recently, on the cover of TIME Magazine’s The Wireless Issue, among others. He has been nominated for three Shorty Awards, and has received two President’s Volunteer Service Awards for his charity work at home and abroad.
How often do you fly? Usually once a month, but not nearly enough.
How many countries have you been to? Eight.
How many continents have you been to? Three, though I’ll have made it six by this time next year.
Earliest travel memory: Flying to Orlando to visit Disney World. I think I was four.
Favorite American city: San Francisco, California.
Least favorite country: I can’t say I’ve visited one that I really disliked.
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Germany. They weren’t outright mean, but they seemed highly suspicious of me.
Favorite aircraft type: The Boeing 757 will always have a special place in my heart.
Aisle or window: Window.
Favorite international airport: Madrid-Barajas’s Terminal 4 (but only T4!) The architecture is stunning.
Favorite cruise line: Never cruised.
Favorite beach: Cape Cod’s Nauset Beach.
Favorite fruit: Papaya.
Favorite food: Sushi.
Least favorite food: Lobster.
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Tea of all types. Herbal, bubble, flavored… it’s all delicious.
Favorite travel movie(s): Quantum of Solace, Casino Royale, Skyfall.
Favorite travel book(s): Saved by Beauty, Three Cups of Tea, Cruising Attitude.
Right now I am reading: Alain de Botton’s The Art of Travel.
Top 3 favorite travel newsletters/magazines/blogs: My Life’s a Trip, AFAR, Aviators and a Camera.
Favorite travel website(s)—besides JohnnyJet.com, of course! Conde Nast Traveler, One Mile at a Time, SmartFlyer, Airchive.com.
5 things you bring on a plane: MacBook, iPhone, Moleskine, and chocolate for the crew.
What do you always seem to forget? Plug adaptors or toiletries. Usually I’m good at remembering the big stuff.
What do you like least about travel? Jetlag.
Favorite travel app(s): Uber, Jetpac City Guides, and VSCO Cam for photo editing.
Most embarrassing travel moment: Spending nearly $300 on a cab between Brussels-National and Brussels-Charleroi, all because I didn’t do thorough enough research on public transportation options.
Worst travel moment: There have been a few frustrating incidents, but I try to look at them as learning experiences.
What’s your dream destination? Antarctica, closely followed by New Zealand and Australia.
Favorite travel charity: Peter Shankman’s most recent ‘Home for the Holidays’ fundraising effort (link), if that counts.
Best travel tip: Go with the flow. Plan a tentative itinerary, but leave room for spontaneity. Split-second decisions are responsible for some of my fondest travel memories.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.