I’ve never had a strong desire to go swimming or surfing in South Africa and after this video – you can bet I won’t be jumping in the Indian Ocean at Jeffreys Bay. That’s because a surfing competition was canceled earlier today after Australian surfer Mick Fanning escaped a shark attack in the opening minutes of the final heat.
As you can see in the video above which shows two sharks circling the three-time World Surf League champion. Luckily the Water Safety Team pulled Nick and fellow competitor Julian Wilson out of the waters within seconds.
The organizers then canceled the remainder of the J-Bay Open, the sixth stop on the 2015 Samsung Galaxy World Surf League Championship Tour.
Fanning’s leash to his surfboard was severed and he told World Surf League TV that he “punched” the shark “in the back” to scare it away. That’s exactly what I would’ve done – from the After World!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.