Last week, Peter Greenberg and CBS This Morning hosted a very informative segment on the safety of small children on airplanes. They were joined by former National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) director Deborah Hersman, who’s currently trying to change the FAA regulations that state that children under the age of two can fly for free if they’re sitting on an adult’s lap. Because of those regulations, 85 percent of parents hold their children during flights to save money.
But it turns out that that regulation is 50-years-old and dates back to a time when seatbelts were not required in cars. They say the answer is “safety restraint seats for children under the age of two. If a child is between 0 and 20 pounds, he or she should be placed in a rear-facing safety seat, and if a child is between 20 and 40 pounds, he or she should be placed in a forward-facing seat.” Otherwise, kids will be turned into missiles if the plane hits turbulence or stops short on takeoff or landing. Watch the segment (and more on Peter Greenberg’s site) for more.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.