If you’ve traveled by train in Europe and the United States of America, you know trains, well, just aren’t that great in America. They’re not only expensive but they’re slow and unreliable, as well. For example, a train from NYC to Washington, DC costs at least $49 and takes three hours and 29 minutes, only 30 minutes less than driving. A train from Rennes to Paris, which is a similar distance costs just $30 USD (27 Euro) and takes only two hours and four minutes.
The United States’ one high-speed train, Acela, which travels in the Northeast Corridor, still isn’t much faster. Acela takes two hours and 50 minutes to travel between NYC and DC on a good day but costs $120. As you will see in the video, Turkey, Poland and Uzbekistan all have trains faster than America’s fastest, which doesn’t seem right. There are a lot of reasons why trains in America suck but none greater than the fact that it would cost way too much money to build it out. But this eight-minute video is well worth your time if you want to really understand why trains suck in America. I just hope Elon Musk’s 700 mph Hyperloop comes to fruition.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.