After JetBlue surprisingly raised its baggage fees by $5 a few days ago, I was quoted in an Associated Press (AP) article saying, “unfortunately, all it takes is one major airline to raise their prices or change their policies for the rest to follow.”
Sadly, I was right. United Airlines just announced the following: “We are making adjustments to our checked bag fees in select markets – most of which have not been changed in eight years. For tickets issued on/after August 31, we’re increasing first and second checked bag fees on Caribbean, Central and North America United and United Express-operated flights. Tickets that are voluuntarily [yes, they misspelled voluntarily] reissued on/after August 31 will also be subject to the new bag fees.”
As you can see from the chart above, most United baggage fees are going up $5, including on both the first and second checked bag.
Unfortunately, this means American and Delta Air Lines will definitely follow suit, which will only lead to more people trying to bring more checked bags (as in bags that in the past would have been checked) onto the plane, which will inevitably lead to delays and arguments between passengers.
Have thoughts on the move? Share them in the comment below.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.