United Airlines is running a new direct flight through September from Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) to Newcastle International Airport (NCL) to cart East Coasters to the northeast region of England. The seven-hour flights to Newcastle will be the first-ever regularly scheduled transatlantic flights on a major carrier.
Among the reasons for the new flight: The US dollar is strong, the airport in Newcastle is a less congested regional airport in a convenient location (five miles from downtown), and there’s also easy access to Northern England or Scotland.
“A direct trans-Atlantic service has been a long time ambition for Newcastle International Airport so it’s exciting that we have seen the route come to fruition,” said Sarah Stewart, chief executive of NewcastleGateshead Initiative today in an email correspondence. “It provides North East England with a unique opportunity to explore inbound tourism opportunities.”
When you get to Newcastle, you can visit a castle with its own beach in Bamburgh Castle, check out the art and culture scene at BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art, or explore Hadrian’s Wall, a UNESCO World Heritage Site showcasing world’s best-preserved Roman wall through reconstructed buildings and live archaeology at the museums.
Beaches and the countryside are both within an easy drive of Newcastle. Take an hour’s drive to the Lake District or head for the Northumberland’s coastline two hours away.
United Airlines will fly direct EWR-NCL from May 22 through September 7, five times a week.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.