United Airlines is running a new direct flight through September from Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) to Newcastle International Airport (NCL) to cart East Coasters to the northeast region of England. The seven-hour flights to Newcastle will be the first-ever regularly scheduled transatlantic flights on a major carrier.
Among the reasons for the new flight: The US dollar is strong, the airport in Newcastle is a less congested regional airport in a convenient location (five miles from downtown), and there’s also easy access to Northern England or Scotland.
“A direct trans-Atlantic service has been a long time ambition for Newcastle International Airport so it’s exciting that we have seen the route come to fruition,” said Sarah Stewart, chief executive of NewcastleGateshead Initiative today in an email correspondence. “It provides North East England with a unique opportunity to explore inbound tourism opportunities.”
When you get to Newcastle, you can visit a castle with its own beach in Bamburgh Castle, check out the art and culture scene at BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art, or explore Hadrian’s Wall, a UNESCO World Heritage Site showcasing world’s best-preserved Roman wall through reconstructed buildings and live archaeology at the museums.
Beaches and the countryside are both within an easy drive of Newcastle. Take an hour’s drive to the Lake District or head for the Northumberland’s coastline two hours away.
United Airlines will fly direct EWR-NCL from May 22 through September 7, five times a week.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.