Last week marked a milestone in earthquake preparedness in Los Angeles, as a new earthquake-alert app was unveiled for the city on both iOS and Android. ShakeAlertLA, as written by The Guardian, “uses mobile app technology to warn Los Angeles county residents when the US Geological Survey’s early warning sensor network indicates an earthquake of 5.0 magnitude or larger is about to shake their location.”
If you live in Los Angeles as I do, this is a great development. ShakeAlertLA is as The Guardian notes “the US’s first publicly available earthquake early warning app, a development seismologists hope will move cities across the west coast to invest in wide-scale alert technology.” The alerts are reported to be near-instantaneous, which is a big improvement from earlier early-warning systems (including the Presidential Alert, which The Guardian reports in certain cases arrived after a 15-second delay).
If you live in Los Angeles County, every step toward earthquake preparedness is an important one.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.