As I mentioned in this post, I’ve just kicked off a new series on my YouTube channel called “39 Travel Questions.” In the series, I’ll be talking to travelers about their travel style, favorite destinations, best travel memories, most embarrassing travel stories and lots more. In the first episode, which you can watch above, I talked to Josh Gates. Josh is the host of Expedition Unknown on Discovery Channel and a new virtual talk show called Josh Gates Tonight, which debuted on Wednesday.
I’ve included some of Josh’s answers, shortened for space, below. He goes into detail on each one in the full interview, so make sure to watch the video above and/or on YouTube!
Name: Josh Gates
Short bio: Josh Gates is an American television presenter, television producer and author. He was the host and co-executive producer of Destination Truth and Stranded on Syfy, and currently hosts and co-executive produces the Discovery Channel series Expedition Unknown and Josh Gates Tonight.
Occupation: Travel host
Facebook: Joshua Gates
Hometown: Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
Residence: Los Angeles, CA
College: Tufts University
College major: Drama and Archeology
How often do you fly? I’m gone about 200 days a year so a lot
How many countries have you been to? 108
How many continents have you been to? 7
Earliest travel memory: Going to England with my family every summer as a kid
Favorite American city: Boston
Favorite international city: Edinburgh & Bangkok
I have no desire to go to: The Stans
Friendliest people in the world: Southeast Asia
Country with the meanest immigration officers: Canada
Favorite airline: United
Favorite aircraft type: 787
Aisle or window: Window
Favorite airport lounge: United’s SF Polaris Lounge
Favorite U.S. airport: Chicago’s O’Hare
Favorite international airport: Bangkok
Favorite hotel: Banyan Tree
Favorite travel credit card: United Explorer Card (Read our Chase United Explorer review here)
Favorite island: Iceland
Favorite beach: Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
Favorite hole-in-the-wall: Nick’s Roast Beef in Beverly, MA
Favorite food: Italian
Favorite fruit: Peach
Drink of choice (in the air and on the ground): Wine and Mai Tai
Favorite travel movie(s): Raiders of the Lost Ark
Favorite travel show(s): Bourdain’s
Favorite travel book(s): “Ocean Sea” by Alessandro Baricco
Favorite travel app: SeatGuru, Uber…
5 things you bring on a plane: Phone, Bose noise-canceling headsets, eye mask, a good book
Do you speak to your seatmate? Sometimes
Famous celebs you’ve sat next to: Jason Bateman, Christopher Llyod, Newt Gingrich
What do you always seem to forget? Phone chargers, pocket knives
Worst travel moment: Drove from L.A. to Cabo San Lucas with no money and arrived during a hurricane
Most embarrassing travel moment: I routinely embarrass myself in front of my crew
What’s your dream destination? Extended tour around Antarctica or sailing the Pacific
Best travel tip: Just do it. Don’t say you wish you can travel. Set some goals, save money and make it happen.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.