In Sydney, Australia, the Sydney Opera House is probably the best ticket in town. That is unless you are very lucky, as I was, and get to take the experience up a notch with a private tour of the facility.
This massive performing arts complex, perched on the edge of Sydney Harbour, is famous the world over for its multi-level white roof line, which resembles either white sails fluttering in the wind or white shells stacked one on top of the other, depending on your preference. The size and complexity of the Opera House, however, is less well-known and I was surprised not just by the vastness of the spectacular main performance space but also by the number of tunnels, corridors, rehearsal rooms, dressing rooms, recording studios, and additional performances venues that support and complement the main stage.
In a busy performing arts venue like the Opera House, it’s hard to find a quiet moment to take it all in. For me, that meant arriving very early one morning for my private tour. The early hour was well worth it for the experience I had. From a walk on the main stage to taking up the baton in the orchestra pit to stretching out in largest rehearsal room and even picking out a tune on the piano in a luxurious dressing room reserved for the biggest international stars, I was able to put myself in the shoes of the many artists who perform at the Sydney Opera House each year for audiences that total in the millions. The experience of being nearly alone with my guide in these spaces was second to none.
Learning more about the Opera House and what goes on behind the scenes to support the performances there gave me a real sense of connection to the excitement these performances generate. That’s why it was especially thrilling to get to come back after the tour and actually see a performance. My Sydney Opera House ticket was really the best ticket in town the day I saw “My Fair Lady” on the main stage, directed by the great Dame Julie Andrews who had starred in the original Broadway production many years ago. Seeing the Sydney Opera House from the outside is a treat, but seeing it from within is an incredibly special experience.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.