The late Anthony Bourdain was no doubt one of the world’s most prolific travelers. The former chef-turned-TV-star took viewers around the world with him on his popular Travel Channel series No Reservations, which ran for nine seasons, and after that, he hosted and traveled for a similar show called Parts Unknown on CNN. With Parts Unknown, the Emmy-winning host became even more popular, as he showed the world how and where to, in his words, “eat and drink with people without fear and prejudice.”
Parts Unknown is on Netflix but individual episodes can also be download on iTunes, YouTube and more for $0.99 each. While I haven’t seen all of Tony’s episodes, my favorite is the Parts Unknown one in Manila, which you can watch here. It’s the first episode in season seven. The show really transformed my impressions of the Philippines. I had no idea how generous or into Christmas Filipinos are. Did you know they start preparing for Christmas at midnight on September 1?
The 44-minute episode is described on IMDB as follows: “In the season seven premiere, Bourdain explores the Philippines during Christmas season and travels through the festive streets of Manila to taste the fast food wonder Jollibee, try the sweet, milky drink, Halo-Halo, and indulge in the classic dish, Sizzling Pork Sisig. The trip continues with the host accompanied by cover band ‘Keystone,’ as they dine on Adobo, a simmered pork-chicken dish. The tour concludes with a family meal of Kare-Kare and the opening of the Balikbayan box.”
Do you have a favorite episode of Parts Unknown or No Reservations? If so, share it in the comments!
More Anthony Bourdain
- Travel Book of the Week: “Anthony Bourdain Remembered”
- Anthony Bourdain’s Genius Trick for Finding the Best Food in Town
- Why Anthony Bourdain Steered Clear of Airplane Food
- Video: Anderson Cooper’s Tribute to Anthony Bourdain
- Slow Down and Soak It in as Anthony Bourdain Would
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.